Can the digital "signal" be over-laundered, unlike money?

Pretty much what is implied by the title. 

Credit to @sns who got me thinking about this. I've chosen a path of refrain. Others have chosen differently.

I'm curious about members' thoughts and experiences on this? 

Though this comes from a 'clocking thread' by no means am I restricting the topic to clocking alone.

Please consider my question from the perspective of all ["cleaning"] devices used in the digital chain, active and passive.

From member 'sns' and the Ethernet Clocking thread [for more context]:

"I recently experienced an issue of what I perceive as overclocking with addition of audiophile switch with OXCO clock.  Adding switch in front of server, NAS resulted in overly precise sound staging and images."

"My take is there can be an excessive amount of clocking within particular streaming setups.

...One can go [to0] far, based on my experience."

Acknowledgement and Request:

- For the bits are bits camp, the answer is obvious and given and I accept that.

- The OP is directed to those that have utilized devices in the signal path for "cleaning" purposes.

Note: I am using 'cleaning' as a broad and general catch-all term...it goes by many different names and approaches.

Thank You! - David.

david_ten

to better understand the analog nature of a digital audio signal, and therefore what might impact it, read my (somewhat old) blog over at sonogy research .com I point you there so i don’t need to duplicate typing and diagrams. Bottom line: its not entirely digital. 2nd bottom line: the fixes are not magic and excellent DAC interfaces ought to mitigate the need most of them. And yet, so far they don’t, not 100%

Ahhh, the vagaries of audio. But for those of us with a scientific bent, it can lead us to ask questions and learn. When it soudns different..... something must be up.

Quick answer: if my "laundering" you basically mean clock and isolate - i would think not. Now, if you mess with it so badly that you create bit errors - all that goes out the window. But is not about bit errors - those are very rare.  But in any real-time stream,, uncorrectable (to the PC crowd thinking this is easy and already solved - nope, not in real time protocols - including the inetrnet's own RTP!)

@sns,

Nope, I wasn’t referring to you or your mac-mini setup. I’ve been approached by few with similar setups seeking advice on how to improve the sound. So my comment in previous post ‘if as an example’ was in that context.

I had this experience with a Silent Angel network OCXO switch with LPS - more detail and resolution but to the point where it was sometimes too much (recording dependent)

I found that the issue was down to weaknesses in the rest of the audio chain which were being revealed by the better signal.

my solutions were:

1. bought new tubes for the pre-amp

2. reduced the gain into the pre amp (via ROON) by about 6db.

3. sold WWP 6's and upgraded to Sasha 2's

The detail and high resolution remain but now it's all good man! 

One could argue that small boxes to "filter" Ethernet signals, and especially reclocking, may be less important if the server has a high quality input such as JCAT's OCXO clocked NET Card XE network card.  I could still imagine a benefit from isolation to remove EMI/RFI, which is why I use fiber from my router to my server (with converters and short Ethernet cables at each end).  The GigaFOILv4-INLINE Ethernet Filter can also be used to provide optic isolation.

@sns there are a lot of people who hate the concept of using practical technology as a source (a computer)….to do the same thing as the defunct tech they’re using (“streamer”) they spent thousands on to accomplish the same thing. Audiophile has become synonymous with “old people overpaying for dressed up old tech” in a lot of other forums.