Can't get answer from Soundsmith on retipping ques

.....so figured I would ask it here:). Would appreciate an answer from anyone, esp. from those with experience with Soundsmith. Here's the question I asked, which they've not answered (they returned my call once, leaving a message that said it was answered in the FAQs at http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/, which it's not, and then didn't return two subsequent calls):

"Suppose I have an older (say, one mfd. 15-30 years ago) MC cartridge, and I send it in for replacement of the cantilever+stylus. Even if the cartridge is undamaged, aren't there other concerns, simply because of the cartridge's age, that typically need to be addressed -- for instance, hardening of the elastomer the supports the cantilever, or oxidized coils? If so, what are those typical concerns and how do you usually address them (added cost, etc.)?"

[BTW, the cartridges in question are a Dynavector Ruby DV23R (~30 yo), and an Ortofon MC3000 MkII (~15 yo).]

Also asked them their current turn-around time for cantilever+stylus replacement -- they didn't answer that either.

Thanks!
chemist

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Need to think 'Ron', ship it and forget it Don't get me wrong Soundsmith does great work, but be prepared to wait 10 weeks for the evaluation, then 15 weeks for the actual retip. Before you go to that effort, try to mount a new Shure 97. You will be surprised. In any event it will keep you up and running until the long time it takes to get your retip back.