Can’t believe anyone

Has anyone else had this experience? First I should say that like many people I have a busy schedule and I don’t have unlimited time to audition gear, so I try rely on dealers to steer me in he right direction to narrow down choices.

I am in the middle of trying to upgrade my system. When I went to a dealer in the Chicago area and told him what kind of gear I had, he immediately by system was "uneven "and I HAD TO upgrade my CD player (from Arcam 7se to 8se or 9). A few days ago I went to a different dealer. As before I mentioned my system, this time it was amp that needed to be upgraded. As for my CD player, he does not feel that the move form the 7se to the 9 is really an upgrade.

So, whom do I believe? Yes, I know—listen for myself and then decide, but then what the hell good are dealers for?

By the way, my current system is:

Integrated Amp: Arcam alpha 10
CDP: Arcam 7se
Speakers: Dynaudio 1.3 Mk II
Interconnects: Nordost Blue Heaven
Speaker wire: MIT T2
xmore
Due to their use of HEAVY quantities of parts in the crossover circuit, Dynaudio speakers are BIGTIME power suckers. Even with their small speakers you will need a pretty reasonably sized amp for best performance. I would look for something that does well at either 8 or 4 ohms with a reasonable amount of dynamic headroom. If the amp does not go up by double or almost double at 4 ohms as compared to what it was rated at 8 ohms, i would NOT consider it for your specific system. Even though the Dynaudio's are designed to be a relatively stable load, they are not an "easy" load in the fact that they take quite a bit of muscle to play at high volumes with any type of "liquidity" or "lucidness". Using a relatively small amp will require you to push it, reducing its' musicality and "liquidity" even further while introducing a "veil" or slight "haze" to the music. Increasing the power available to these specific speakers in a quality fashion should get you the the dynamics and openness that your looking for. Sean
>
Try Joe Galanti @ Superior Audio in Chicago. By appointment only. Small selection, but honest and he has a great ear!
While I am unfamiliar with much of your equipment, my feeling is that your cabling could be upgraded. However, a front end is where upgrades really make a difference, it's just that I am unsure about the Arcam line.
Your upgrade path is clear and easy. Buy a 10 power amp and bi-amp the speakers. Lose the MIT and get some Blue Heaven speaker wire. Nordost will terminate the cables at the amp end for free. Until the format war is settled I'd stay with the 7se, but make no mistake the 9 is better. You can have your dealer upgrade the 7se to a 9 for little more then the cost between the two.
Definitely upgrade the amplification - I have two sets of Dynaudios (the 1.1's and the 3.0's) and they both crave the power / current. All of the dynamics you mention losing will come back and then some.