Can Static Destroy Electronics?

The Story —
I had been listening to records all night, no issues. I put on an album by Junip, brushed the album with my anti static brush, and went to lift the tone arm by the tone arm lift when I heard a loud static pop. Volume was about 30% up. After which, there is no sound in my right channel.
I think the issue is at the output of the phono preamp, because:

- When I switch the L and R input cables at the phono preamp, the left speaker still plays (the R signal stuff), and the right speaker stays silent (meaning the right input must be working)
- When I switch the L and R phono preamp output cables, the right speaker plays the L signal, and the left speaker is silent (meaning the right channel all the way up the chain from the speaker through the signal is working)

So...did static electricity blow my right phono output?

*System*
Thiel 3.6
Mccormack DNA-1
Mccormack ALD-1
Dynavector P-75
Technics SL-1200 mkII
Dynavector 10x5
128x128heyitsmedusty
I think your analysis is quite possibly spot on! Well done. I didn't realize your pre-amp was ungrounded. You are correct, without that AC ground, the spark is going to find a new path to ground.
I'm currently in touch with Dynavector about this. I'll keep the thread updated with any new info as it comes!
Just wanted to update this thread. Mike at Dynavector was VERY helpful regarding this issue. He worked with me to get a replacement Dynavector phono preamp into the system, and there have been on issues since.

After such a great service response from Mike, I'm a loyal Dynavector customer now. Great company, great products. Thanks, Mike!
Mike has long been one of the best most responsible distributors, of any audio product, in the US. He helped me out several times well above the call of duty with parts for my tonearms.