Can someone suggest a lush tube integrated under $3000 used

My main system it’s solid state preamp and amp. I’ll through in a tube preamp on occasions. Somedays I just miss the lush involving syrupy tube sound with small jazz and blues recordings. I know highs may be rolled off,  not a lot of slam but can be so involving you lose track of time. This amp will be matched with some Joseph Audio first gen Pulsar, LSA 2 statement tower with ribbon tweeter and some Tiny Dancers. 

I’ve heard good things of the Cary, Ayon, maybe an old Conrad Johnson cav 50, I just don’t have much experience with integrated amps. My speakers aren’t the most efficient. 

paulcreed

Showing 6 responses by paulcreed

I was hoping to find an integrated that can use some tubes I already have. I do have 8 Mullard xf2 and old winged C’s el34’s with a lot of life, 6sn7, rca black and gray glass vt-231, kenrads, some amprex 6922 pinched waist plus others. That’s one reason I was looking at the Cary sli80. I looked at the Vac I see a lot out there but there not selling and would hate to get stuck with it if it doesn’t work out and a little over budget. Little concerned with Cayin for repairs being Chinese. Always admired the Art Audio.
Maybe syrupy is the wrong word. Warm side of neutral may be better. Around 15 years ago I tried the BAT vk5i, Rouge 99 magnum and thought they were nice but didn’t provide the enjoyment of the others tube preamps I’ve owned. I did look into the suggested Raven and that looks very interesting. The thought and build quality they provide looks inviting. They do claim warm side of neutral. 20 watts is a concern with 6ohm 87db speaker even with there claim of high current.
I watched a video on the owner/designer of Raven Audio and his thoughts on building an amp were very impressive. His philosophy reminded me of Don Allen a guy that built a preamp for me long ago that cost $800 but sounded better than some $5000 preamps I had. Don always felt not to use matching resistors and caps, his idea was trial and error with parts to find the right sound, same statement Raven audio made.

I like how Raven pre has 6 preamp tubes to stagger different brands. They claim to put some money in the preamp section which I feel a lot of other company’s cut corners on the preamp section of an integrated. Main reason I’ve not had good luck with integrated amps a have used separates. 
Can someone explain how how Raven is getting moderately efficient speakers to get loud with 20 tube watts. I have a Mapleshade Scott lk48  maybe 20 watts but it can only do so much with 6 ohm 87 db speakers. That’s why it’s in a closet, it’s great with Altec 604’s or Klipsch but anything else it falls short. 
I like what I’m seeing from Raven Audio, will look into them some more.

Words like syrupy and lush may have been a mistake. kennyc my main system you hear deep in recording, big tight bass, some effects coming out of speakers are so real they will startle you coming out of nowhere. Highs have air and sparkle. I truly enjoy that system. 

That’s not what I’m looking for. I grew up in New Orleans going in little jazz clubs with maybe 10 or 30 people in there with all acoustic instruments no microphones no board only the acoustics of the room, and hope it’s a good room. Maybe a better word is I’m looking for natural or organic tones on the warm side. 

If the music calls for a dirty sound then the amp can get dirty and raw. I don’t think any amp can sound like real music but would just like to get as close as I can. 

I think the Audio Hungary looks very interesting but it would have to be used. The one on usam has been pulled off.
Decided on the Audio Hungary a20i bought a demo from a dealer so should be here late next week. It stayed within my budget so I’m good with that normally I tend to go over. I saw a used Jadis in my budget but it was 20 years old and concerned with failure. I noticed a lot of people I talked to that we’re selling the Raven Blackhawk get the Raven but don’t keep it long, maybe 6 month. I really want a amp I can hold onto for many years. Hopefully this one is a keeper. Thank you to everyone for helping me find a amp.