Can someone suggest a lush tube integrated under $3000 used

My main system it’s solid state preamp and amp. I’ll through in a tube preamp on occasions. Somedays I just miss the lush involving syrupy tube sound with small jazz and blues recordings. I know highs may be rolled off,  not a lot of slam but can be so involving you lose track of time. This amp will be matched with some Joseph Audio first gen Pulsar, LSA 2 statement tower with ribbon tweeter and some Tiny Dancers. 

I’ve heard good things of the Cary, Ayon, maybe an old Conrad Johnson cav 50, I just don’t have much experience with integrated amps. My speakers aren’t the most efficient. 

paulcreed

Showing 2 responses by arafiq

OP: Raven Audio Nighthawk is a great match with high sensitivity speakers. I can tell you from experience (I owned the Blackhawk for several months) that they don't do as well with anything less than 88 db. I tried them with Harbeth 30.1 and SHL5+, and while they don't sound bad per se, the limitations of 20 watts become immediately obvious. They were ok in my home office (12x13) but were completely lost in the main audio room (20x15). I'm willing to admit that in my case it was not the amp's fault, I just wasn't matching them with appropriate speakers.

All I'm saying is that they don't do well with low'ish sensitivity speakers in slightly bigger spaces. Don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. But if your speakers are reasonably efficient in a small to midsize room, then yes they are absolutely amazing. I also owned Cronus Magnum II prior to the Blackhawk, and while the CM provided more oomph, it lacked the beautiful and lush (not syrupy at all) musicality of the Blackhawk. Given your speakers are a good match, Raven provides a nice dose of the 'true' tube sound without stepping into the 'syrupy' territory. The build quality and looks are also top grade.
@tomic601 -- The VTL was actually bought by my friend. I didn't want to bring it up because the OP wanted to learn more about Raven, but there's simply no comparison. The VTL I-85 is in a totally different league compared to Raven's Blackhawk. It has that el34 magic but also the balls to drive low sens speakers very well. 

If you look at my main virtual system pics, you will see the VTL sitting side by side with the Qualiton a50i. We did a shootout a few weeks ago. The VTL is very good but the a50i is in yet another league above the VTL, at least for my taste. But I can def see how someone might actually prefer the el34 sound of the VTL over the KT120 of a50i.

Unfortunately, my friend had some unexpected expenses so he basically returned the speakers and amp back to me. I don't really need an expensive amp in my study, otherwise I would have bought the VTL from him in a heartbeat. I might be putting it up for sale soon. I wish I could somehow justify keeping both the Qualiton a50i and VTL in my systems, but I can't :(