Can one ever be "done" in this hobby?

I would like to think I am pretty much in audio nirvana right now but supremely well aware how quickly that can change to audio nervosa!

What do think?

Is it really possible to kick the addiction and be done and just sit back and enjoy the music?

Has anybody managed this trick of the mind?
128x128uberwaltz
"Where would GK go then?"
To Michael Green's Tuneland website (which is something different from computer game for children that Google prefers).
Yes, At the end of your life (say 67) when hopefully your kids are on their own and you did well financially and have money to blow you can set up your Ultimate Hi Fi. Then you can spend the rest of your money on records. Well, maybe the occasional cartridge and tube.
I do envy those nice normal people who find a good set-up and just enjoy their records for the next 10-20 years.
I've been able to squeeze two + years out of one very good rig.
Speakers have been the longest lasting components in my house at four years.
Good speakers are much harder to find (and carry and ship...)  than the electronics.
We're playing, that's what we do.
Our stereos are better than anything 99% of the people have.
The Allegory of the Track

For some years I was a Porsche Club track Driving Instructor. All kinds of cars and drivers come to the track. At first they know only what every Driver’s License holder knows: nothing. Absolutely nothing. Less than nothing even. A combination of BS and lies.

First thing they all do is head over to the fastest, lowest, wingiest looking car they can find to gape and gaw while trying not to drool all over their brand new Pilotti’s.

Then they all go out and, confronted with the reality of just how much total concentration and just how freaking hard it is to drive well, not to mention how expensive it is, they quit. Usually before they get very good at what should have been the reason for coming in the first place, driving.

Which is a shame.

A persistent few, the wise ones anyway, they notice a few things. Like there are some guys who day after day seem to really be having fun and even manage to steadily and regularly pass in spite of driving much older, cheaper, less crazy looking cars. Cars that don’t even need a trailer to get to the track. Cars they actually enjoy driving on everyday public roads.

Some even come to understand what the Instructor said about smoother being faster. The Zen-, or Yoda- if you prefer, like saying that to go fast don’t drive fast, drive well.

Other guys eventually notice how fast they are. Start asking questions. Which are always, How much horsepower? Or something like that. Never, Why’d you take that line? How do you look so smooth? Or anything like that.

And the skilled driver, because that’s what he is now, to his credit he does try to explain. But they have no patience. Off they run to gape and gaw at the Next Big Thing being rolled off a trailer.

Miller
So glad I do not fall into your category there, but I do fear that millions of drivers do.

Spent my formative years piloting motorcycles around some of the twistiest tracks in England, nothing quite like them anywhere here in the USA.
Google, Olivers Mount, Cadwell Park, Three Sisters etc.
You are absolutely correct, used to have a ball running around the inside or outside of uber expensive and new race replica bikes on a couple of different steeds I had just for the track, stripped down to the core to gain as much power to weight ratio as possible, one even ran total loss ignition, battery power only no generator.

Both looked like crap but were rock solid and as safe as any bike on a track could be, all money and time spent on brakes and tires.

Smooth was ALWAYS the key to going fast and trying to keep your cool, once you get excited and angry then you get ragged and lose time around the track

Or crash.... ouch!