Can I mod my Technics 1200?

I have yet to hear what the big deal is re: vinyl. I have a Technics1200, mostly because I one day want to get another, and use my mixer to learn how to mix records.

I have a pretty cheap cartridge... Shure M44G.

When I play records, it doesn't sound that great. Maybe the TT isn't set up right? Maybe I can do some mods? I'd like to make a stab at this...

Is there any way I can get a decent vinyl sound with this TT? If I need a different cartridge, which one? I'm not sure I can get a different arm. What about mods... ? Any suggestions?

This really needs to stay under $500.
128x128dennis_the_menace

Showing 3 responses by dennis_the_menace

THANKS Zaikes for all that... I think part of the problem is that I can't get the cartiridge I have now to firmly stay in place. Since you have a 1200, there are those 4 wires, that you plug into the cartridge, and then you screw the cartridge into the "jig", but I can't seem to get those screws to stay tight. I dunno... sounds like such a stupid little problem, and you'd think anyone could figure it out, but I haven't been able to.

The other thing I'm not sure about is how to balance the arm. With just the cartridge attached (loosely), it tips backwards. Adjust the weight at the back doesn't seem to help (I just turn it, and it turns, but doesn't really change positions?); so I attach this 4g weight on top of the cartridge "jig", and it's now heavy enough to play records, but maybe it's too heavy?

And yes, my preamp is a Numark mixing board. I'll have a good phono stage once my Supratek Syrah comes from Australia... I'm guessing in February...
Zaikes... THANK YOU. i got my cartridge on properly, using the jig, and was able to balance my arm, as well as look up and set the arm height according to the user's manual. i did all of this without using a leveling bubble. i know, i'll need to rebalance the arm all over again, but i just really wanted to listen to some records, just to see! considering my cartridge probably sucks, as well as my numark mixer used as a phono stage, the music was actually good! i could hear that with more work on setup, as well as an eventual upgrade in phono stage, records are going to kick. there was a different quality to what i heard... innately deep i thought.

anyway, totally enjoyed the talk, and i really appreciate you taking all that time to go through the setup. i'll let you know more as after i get my TT leveled out.