Can I get "Great" used speakers for $1800??

I got only have $1800 to spend on "used mint" speakers. Can I get something "great" for my money??---- something that is musical, accurate, coherent with tight bass and good soundstaging. I see a lot of good stuff on Audiogon for $2800-3000, but just can't hack those prices now. Can I get close to that "performance" level for $1800?? What will be missing?? I listen to lots of classic rock, big band, and jazz. Thanks, Jimbo
sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by geoffgarcia

if great is possible at 1800$ then why would anyone spend any more than that?

its my opinion that 1500$ in used speakers is just entering midfi territory, which goes up to probably around the 10k range. Midfi sounds pleasant...but its not gonna give anyone a wow moment. Lowfi isn't engaging whatsoever. And HiFi is so engaging your house could burn down around you and you wouldn't notice cuz you'd be in such a trance from the music.
Gmood1, I agree with what you said, I just raised the number a bit to make the point a bit that 1800 is just entering the good zone. Also I think most speakers that are great in the 3-5k range need a sub for the bottom octaves (all my opinion of course)