Can i do better for $700 than Grado RS-1?

Hi
This Christmas i am planning on buying headphones and a headphone amp.I will have a 1k budget for it.Should i go Grado amp/headphones combo or can i do better for 1 k?
Both will be used for Ipod Video with a lossless compression.Thanks a lot for your advices.
overhang

Showing 1 response by soulbrass

I won't pretend to know what is best for you but here goes...1) RS-1 is a great can. So are Sennheiser 600/650s, Shure E5/E4/E3s, Grado RS-2s and Prestige series, Etymotic ER-4s...etc. They are all different! Don't threaten to drop a boatload without hearing at least a few of these using the source and music of choice. 2) iPod > amp > headphones is a very cool and convenient rig (I use mine several hours every day!) but has its sonic limitations even with lossless compression. It is possible to just irritate yourself by coupling an iPod with an amp and cans that are TOO revealing. 3) An iPod is inherently portable. Consider a portable amp if you want the upgraded sound capacity where ever you go. 4) There are lots of great amps...be careful to mate properly with cans of choice. 5) Leave yourself an upgrade path. You WILL get addicted!

That being said...if I had $1000 to spend...

Home rig: iPod > Naim i-Supply power supply > (good IC of choice) > Channel Islands VHP-1 > Channel Islands VAC-1 power supply > Sennheiser HD600. Just under $1000. Save up for a better source.

Portable rig: iPod > (good IC of choice) > Headroom Total Airhead or Bithead > Shure E4s. Way under $1000...go spend the rest on music!

Try visiting http://www.Head-Fi.org for more info. Good luck!