Can component video send 720p or only dvi/hdmi?

I am not a videophile if you couldn't tell from my question but am asking my audiogon friends for a little help. I am helping my dad with a high definition television/dvd set up. My question is when connecting a dvd player that sends 720p to a high definition television can that signal be sent via component video? I know it can be sent via dvi or hdmi connection. I would appreciate if the video experts could help me out. I am leaning the way of the samsung 941 that will supposedly be out next month. Any recommendations are always appreciated. Thanks guys.
nicksgem10s

Showing 1 response by bruceomega

My understanding is the DVD Consortium, if that is the right name, does not allow any upconversion over component outs, and does not allow upconversions over DVI/HDMI unless it is HDCP protected.

I have read about a couple of players that do upconvert; i.e., output in a format greater than 480i/480p, over component outputs, such as Momitsu(sp?) and Zenith, but a lawsuit was recently field against these companies over this.

My recommendation is to go with HDCP compatible DVI/HDMI if you want upconversion.

Thanks
Bruce