Can any preamps for $2-3k touch Auregies-L?

I made a mistake and recently sold my Shindo Auregie-L out of frustration while dealing with room issues. Long story short, I've got some treatments in place and a new amplifier (Decware Torii 3) and things are sounding good, but--I suspect my Shindo could bring more to the table.

I prioritize tonal beauty and emotion over absolute linearity and resolution. I also tend to be a sucker for texture, harmonic density and micro/macro dynamics.

I suspect I'd be best off waiting for a Shindo to come up used, but I am open to alternatives.
gopher

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

Gopher,

I am not an admirer of Shindo gear. So it comes as no surprise that I think there are many better preamp alternatives to Shindo. However, I will say that the Shindo preamps are stronger contenders for one's attention than the power amps, overall. There are very few truly worthwhile preamps in the $2k - $3k range, regardless who makes them but there are always exceptions to the prevailing mediocrity.

One that will satisfy your bias to "texture, harmonic density and micro/macro-dynamics" not far from your stated price range is the excellent Valvet L2. This is a 6sn7-based preamp, and the US importer can offer it with a variety of 6sn7 vintages, for a real range of choices in dialing in your sound.

The Valvet will give you excellent resolution, and a soundstage that scales appropriately, but it is fundamentally a conduit for musical emotion rather than being analytic. At $3600 new, and with its power supply recently upgraded, it's sonically valuable well beyond its price-peers. The more expensive still Valvet Soulshine, which is not 6sn7 based, can give you a bit more refinement at the expense of some of the 6sn7's vividness. If you go this route, you'll be keeping your Jasmine as the L2 is a line stage.

If you want a better preamp than any Shindo at Shindo prices, get an Audion.