Can a new amplifier affect speaker placement?

Hi all,

So I went out and got me a shiny new amp. One thing I'm certain I've noticed is the bass isn't as rich as with the old amp. The new amp is well-known for its bass response. The old one may have been too (don't remember) - but it's less than half the power and a fourth the cost of the new one. Both amps are overachievers in their price category. In short - I've trouble believing my little Creek 5350SE has bigger bass than my NAD M2. I wonder if something else is going on. Has anyone had to re-position their speakers, following a new amp purchase?
sturgl

Showing 2 responses by zd542

If there is one component I still kick myself in the ass for selling, it was my 5350SE. Sure my Ayre V5's are a little better, but the Creek was just the most fun and useful audio component I think I've ever had. In all fairness to your NAD, it probably does need some time to break in. Also, with a new amp, its possible you may have to move your speakers a little to compensate for differences there are between the 2 amps and how they effecr your speakers.
I just thought of something you may want to try. Every NAD integrated that I've seen jumps the amp and preamp sections with an external rca jumper, just like your Creek. I would use the Creeks preamp and go directly into the amplifier section of the NAD. This may sound like an odd thing to do, but on several occasions I've seen loss of bass was due to the preamp, and not the amp.