Cambridge SoundWorks or B&W802/803 Matrix/Nautilus

Hi audio-experts,

The reason for this *Gasp!* almost blasphemous question is because I had owned a set of Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble Satellites for a couple of years now, and at the price I paid for them ($399), they really blew away most "mass-consumer grade speakers"(e.g. Panasonic/Sony/etc) up to $1000. However, ever since I upgraded my Harman Kardon from an integrated amplifier (AVR70) to separates (Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 Pre-amplifier + Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 5-channel amplifier), the short-comings of the satellites have really showed. I think I have about-average cables too (Monster M1000i Interconnects from pre-amp to amp, Monster M1500i for CD to pre-amp, and Monster M1.2 speaker cables).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but my question is this... In the budget of $1500 to $2500, what should I get?
A) The Cambridge SoundWorks Towers 'B' stock, at a steal of $658 (MSRP $1500)
B) The Cambridge SoundWorks T500 at $2200
C) B&W Matrix (used) 802/803 at up to $2500
D) B&W Nautilus (used) 802/803 up to $3000

What are the differences between the Matrix and the Nautilus anyways? There are millions of opinions out there on the web, and it is confusing the heck out of me (Ranging from "B&W is overpriced crap!, get Kilpsh!" to "Don't even bother with B&W 804! Save for the 803s! Or even better, get the 802s!" to "Get my 802 Matrix for only $2250! It is 95% as good as the 803 Nautilus at 50% of the price!"). Some guru please separate the chaff for me!!!

I realize that the B&W has a "snob/prestige" factor that the Cambridge SoundWorks will never have, but I am also looking at value-for-money here. (I never seem to escape the looks of derision hi-fi sales associates give me when they hear that I am using CSW products).
atzen811

Showing 1 response by battousai

I agree with SteveAudio that don't spend $2k on CSW.

In my opinion, the B&W Nautilus line is overpriced but the Matrix series is a steal, since you can get the Matrix series cheap in the market.
My philosophy has been buying/listening used equipment with the ability to resell them. B&W Matrix series has extremely high resale value.

B&W Matrix is very revealing. I own a pair of Matrix 802s3 and have never been regreded. OK, I've to drive them with Threshold T3 and T200. However, I spend less than 5k for my whole system. I don't think I've any problem selling them for about the same price if I don't like them. I'm listening to them while writing this. :)

Steve is right on the line that picking something that matches your system. I'm also afraid that B&W Matrix may not be the best choice for your system. But if you're thinking of upgrading, B&W Matrix is a reasonable choice.

My 2 cents.