Cambridge Audio Azur 840C vs EMM CDSA SE

They both have great reviews but the EMM is in a higher sonic class. How much higher? Has anyone compared them? Are they really night and day? Is the EMM really worth the extra thousands?
sabai

Showing 2 responses by referenceaudiovideosec

Short answer is yes. Long answer is what options do you have if you are considering the EMM price range?

Price doesn't relate to performance unless you are comparing designers that are great at giving value. There are rip offs and steals at every price range so my concern would be why you picked these two to ask about when they are apples and oranges?

I ask because your first mistake may be that you are looking at choices based on reviews. You need to find someone with a great ear you trust and who knows system matching or be able to hear them in your system.

I hope you have a great dealer you can lean on, unfortunately they are becoming rare.

Cambridge will hold its own against other great value players like Arcam, Rotel, Musical Fidelity and entry Esoteric and beat more expensive less value players like high end Marantz.

The EMM will compete against other high value high end companies like Exemplar, Ayre, and Dodsen, while beating high end over priced stuff like Levinson and Krell.
Hello. I am a dealer and do not sell either one but there is a big difference.

The EMM is much more seethrugh and places objects in the recording in its own space and time so you can "walk" around the sound.

The Cambridge is smooth but also closed in and pinched sounding. You will hear thing you don't now on the EMM.

The hard one to beat for the money that I do sell is the Exemplar hot rod of the Oppo BluRay. It is $2500 and is 95% as good as a DCS that sells for $90,000.