Cambridge Audio Azur 840 A Integrated opinions?

Hi. I'm currently considering a Cambridge Audio 840A integrated amp at a local audio boutique. The unit retails for $1,600.00 (almost everywhere), but the store has one left for half-price. It offers 120 wpc into 8 ohms, and 200 wpc into 4. It uses a new patented amp class called "Class XD", which means it operates at a pure class A level while having the efficiency of a class AB. Listening to the thing in the "sound chamber" in the store was stunning, but I'm not sure how much is due to the 640C CD player running through it. To help me make a decision, I took a 20 year old Denon DCD-1500 CD player & the owner let me hook it up. Not nearly as impressive. I have an Arcam Alpha 8SE CD/HDCD player that I use daily, and I should take it down to the store & listen, but I'm afraid to truck it around town. I have KEF Reference 103/4 loudspeakers. I will be replacing an Adcom GFA-555 and Adcom GTP-500II pre-amp if I pull the trigger. Any thoughts???
klipschking
I have an Arcam Alpha 8SE CD/HDCD player that I use daily, and I should take it down to the store & listen, but I'm afraid to truck it around town. I have KEF Reference 103/4 loudspeakers. I will be replacing an Adcom GFA-555 and Adcom GTP-500II pre-amp if I pull the trigger. Any thoughts???
In your current system you have a high rez source and high rez speakers. Your Adcom electronics in between are the weak link. They can't approach what that 840A can do. If the 840A with a good source was "stunning," then you know how good it can sound, and your Adcom stack could never rise to that level of resolution, refinement, or performance regardless of the source component.

You need to try your Arcam into the Cambridge or just go ahead and buy the 840A on faith. If you "are afraid to truck it around town," make an appointment with the audio store to bring it in and audition the 840C. Don't hesitate because the buzz on these Cambridge Azur components is deservedly good and I doubt an 840A would hang around long at $800.

Your Arcam should handily beat the old Denon, and may be as good as the Cambridge 640C that was feeding the 840A on your first demo. If it's not, you can get a new 640C v2 from Audio Advisor for $399.

I say get the Cambridge 840A NOW. If it doesn't impress you as much at home as it did at the shop, start saving for a better-sounding player to go with it. You'll ultimately be glad you did.
Well, I guess that proves to some extent how important the quality of our source components is.