Cambridge Audio 840C

I'm looking for a near-reference audio-only balanced CD Player. I briefly listened to the 840C in a store demo. and it sounded very good, but unfortunately I couldn't compare it to anything. Has anyone had a chance to compare the 840C to a good balanced CD Player such as the Esoteric SA-60 or SA-10, Ayre C-5xe or CX-7 or Krell SACD Standard?
sunset_ranch

Showing 3 responses by mjcmt

Mdconnelly,

I have not heard the 840c but am considering it.

But, I must admit that having a 3D soundstage with good air, blackness, and edge delineation carries a lot of weight towards a good listening experience. Once the cdp shopping comparisons are done with, this all important characteristic will make or break the listening experience.

If the musical perception describing the space in the recording is missing I personally will look elseware for a cdp. I have considered the 840c and may look elseware.
Remember, many of the units sold used are re-sells. I think some users buy them used to see what all the hub bub is all about and resell them when they realize their existing cdp has better synergy in there system or realize the improvement is subtle and not worth the investment.

I for one think there is no one best piece of equipment in each price range. I think all the better pieces have their own virtues and we my like what they have better.

I'm always leery of reviews that claim "the best". We all have different rooms, systems, ears, and listening styles/tastes. And the cabling - that is another story - some act as tone controls which alter the sound.
Smargo,

I wasn't challenging you or anyone else about the 840's sound quality, and I'm glad you found the cdp that fits your system.

I was just probing into people's psychology of buying and selling, trying to give an answer to those who posted questions on this forum and others, as to why so many units are for sale.

Thanks for your defense for the 840's virtues as I'm sure it will help some.