Cambridge Audio 840-C cd- problems

Hi all, I have a Cambridge Audio 840-C c-d player. It is around 4 years old. Am having problems with it recently. Sometimes it will not read a c-d right away, a message says "no play" but after trying it a few times It will work. (These are not burned c-d's) But then while playing for a while, the audio will stop, and then start again, exactly where it left off. Does not skip or jump ahead as sometimes happens with a bad c-d, or dirty lens. While the audio is blank, which only lasts about 2-3 seconds, you can hear the laser mechanism making the sound it would make if you where to, for instance, change tracks, or when you first put in a c-d.
Any ideas what might be the cause of this? Where I might send it for repairs? Is it worth fixing. Thanks so much

Gary
128x128ghoeper

Showing 1 response by pokey77

I don't have allot to add other than the 840C I had was a nice player at it's price point of around $1,600 new. Nice build quality and good sound. I would definitely look into repairing it since Cambridge probably have transports and that's what the problem sounds like. Once working again, you may have the last CDP you buy before you go to digital? And you could use the transport to support a dac upgrade in the future. The other advice in this thread seems quite practical (with the exception of the first comment). It will most likely be much cheaper to repair your 840C than to purchase a new player. Though if you choose not to repair then the world is your oyster and there are other nice choices as well. -Good luck in your pursuit.