Cambridge 851C vs Oppo 205

Ok, so I own both players and bought my 205 direct on the last run Oppo made and with all the praise everyone gave this player I set back and read all the post this deck received and kept my opinion silent because I had no idea how the Oppo stacked up so what the heck... I pulled the trigger and bought one.

Well I took some time to learn the Oppo and have spent time comparing it to my Cambridge. Whether you buy into the debate of aftermarket fuses or not I should note my 851C has two SR Black fuses so maybe that has elevated this player from its stock form. The Oppo has not been tweaked whatsoever but comparing both players they both used a Nordost Vishnu PC and WyWires Silver balanced IC direct to my preamp using their own DAC.

I’m just going to jump in and get right to the point; the Oppo is not a giant killer. Is the Oppo a well made, well package and a heavy player weight wise? Yes it is. I have not used the Oppo for video but only 2 channel audio which is what I’ve read so many here going on and on about. The Oppo does nothing wrong or does it have an offensive sound, if anything I will say it is on the softer side, maybe a little laid back. Now I’m not saying I’m not enjoying this machine but I do find it a little polite but that being said I don’t feel or hear it’s missing anything. In a way I find it’s a little slow and I don’t mean by timing but it lacks pace, not a lot of PRaT. 

The Oppo seems to be a little flat and closed in compared to the Cambridge. On fast or complex music the Oppo gets the notes out but seems as it’s working hard to keep up where the Cambridge doesn’t. The Cambridge has speed and extension and doesn’t soften things. From top to bottom the a Cambridge is much more refined and I feel I’m thinking less about what it’s doing whereas the Oppo I feel like it’s holding back.

Let’s get back to the Cambridge. The 851C has more of everything. The top end has air or more extension. I don’t find notes or instruments are fighting who’s first, it’s as if they have their own space and time and they’re cool with it. The bass is quicker and more extended, not bloated as the Oppo. The Oppo top end to me at least on my system is a little soft and between top to bottom I find it’s bass is it’s stonger point but it’s a little slow and notes hang a little too long, not much texture; the pluck of a bass is there but it’s more of a note where the Cambridge I feel a persons finger made it happen... there’s texture to it.

in short those that have purchased the Oppo did just fine and maybe on video it’s a beast. I’ve not tried it on video but will in due time. For those who feel they have bought a machine that is the holy grail and the last word in digital playback; well it’s not this deck, but maybe it’s the best you’ve heard and that’s fine. For those who didn’t get their email in to buy the last run before they stopped making this player don’t sweat it. Those who are on the fence thinking of paying 2 to 3x times what this player cost new, Don’t!

Well I bought the 205 so I could hear what all the fuss was. It’s a nice player and I have no regrets. My Cambridge has several, several thousands of hours on it where the Oppo maybe a couple hundred so maybe it still needs more time but I don’t think it will ever catch up to the Cambridge. The Cambridge plays only audio and cost more new than than the Oppo for good reason. Between the two, for two channel audio, the Cambridge is King. If I was on the fence sending the Oppo to ModWright to mod I’m not now. Sorry Dan.
adg101
The Oppo 205 also benefits significantly with a simple upgrade you can do yourself. Replace the digital power supply (used for the digital section) with the “Oppomod” LPS - linear power supply that people with very refined systems indicate makes significant improvements. There’s a thread on it. 
I have read up on Oppomod and may consider that. Believe I read earlier the fuses on the stock PS board are fixed but the Oppomod board they have holders so I can change out fuses as well.

Running directly to wall receptacles with dedicated circuits with AQ outlets. Probably going to look into either PS Audio, Audioquest or Nordost for an outlet. We have fairly clean power so I don’t feel it is a rush but no doubt it will likely be a improvement. Again my 851C is plugged direct to the wall too.
Adg101. Even a $500 used MIT ISO HC might be good :)  I use it to good benefit