Cambridge 840C or Rega Apollo CD Player?

I am considering the Cambridge 840C or Rega Apollo CD Player. Any recomendations for the less than $1500 range? Thanks
128x128dal0wol

Showing 1 response by mdrummer01

DalOwol: I currently have an 840C and a Jolida 100 with a level 2 modification (through Underwood Hifi.) The tubes in the level 2 mod are not the same as in the stock model...I can't tell you what tubes they are off hand...so an accurate comparison is difficult. BUT, the Cambridge is more detailed, wider soundstage and a leans towards the analytical side; the Jolida is a little warmer, great harmonics in the mids with just a slight loss of detail compared to the Cambridge. Both are "best buys" in my book. I demoed an Apollo a couple of years back while I had the Jolida, but before I had the Cambridge, and in the weekend I had them both, it was hard to tell the difference. I decided to stick with the Jolida, particularly because of the built-in head phone jack that, despite using an internal FET amp, sounds mighty fine. I now employ the Joilda in a small, warm, second system where the listening position is very nearfield. I have no desire to mess with the Cambridge in my main system. Oh, I use a Gingko platform under the 840C and that 'smooths' (read: sounds more analog) the sound out just a bit. Good luck!