Cambridge 740c or Rega Apollo with Linn and Sonus

Hi everyone,

I live in a 2 bedrooms apartment and my current setup(living room) is a Nad C542 with Linn Majik-I int. amp. and Sonus Faber Concertinos. I am ready happy with what I have but would like to upgrade cdp to either a Cambridge Audio 740C or a Rega Apollo or any other player around the same price range. I mostly listen to jazz, classical, soft rock, voices. I would like a cdp that can transmit the emotion from a voice, not too harsh or too analytic. I prefer warmth, rich notes over detail. Which player do you think is more suitable for my setup and the qualities that I am looking for?

Thanks!
stardust888

Showing 3 responses by knownothing

Others to consider around or under $1000:

Marantz SA8001 Super Audio CD Player

MUSIC HALL CD25.2 24/96 CD PLAYER (<<$1000)

used Shanling CD-T100

used Naim 5 or 5i
I don't know if this is instructive because there are probably few parts in common, but my Cambridge Azur 640C v2 was still presenting new musical perspectives after many months of playing. Sometimes I would put in a disk and go "Wow! It didn't sound like that before". More detail, smoother leading edges and more nuanced decay. Your mileage may vary... Curious that some components seem to take longer to "bloom" than others.
I haven't heard that particular Creek. You should listen to the Naim 5i since their players have a unique presentation that I find quite infectious. On the other hand the Cambridge 840 certainly will provide more detail and may sound more "natural" and "neutral" than the Naim, which to my ears sounds downright perky and bouncy in comparison. I think both these players are really good values and offer you two very distinct choices in terms of the sound they produce. I think the Naim really shines when partnered with one of their amps. The Cambridge can sound good with a variety of amplifiers because of its overall accuracy and neutrality.