Calling all Vandersteen Fans

A little over a year ago I owned he 1Cis for a short time. While I enjoyed many aspects of the speaker, I found their top-end was a bit ripe and sibilant, with multiple amps. I ended up having to attenuate the treble by 1.5db in order to enjoy them at all.

Lately I've been thinking about how well those speakers produced a realistic decay of instruments, the likes of which I haven't encountered in any other speakers. I'm wanting to give Vandersteens another chance and am considering the 2CE SigIIs, however, it appears they and the 3As have the same tweeter as the 1Cis. That and the measurements in the Stereophile review give me pause. I suppose it could be that I didn't allow the 1Cis enough break-in, or that I was actually hearing upper midrange distortion from their 8" midbass driver

I'm soliciting input from those very familiar with the brand. Would you say the 2 Sig IIs produce a warmer balance than the 1Cis? Do they in-fact share the same exact tweeter? 

Is a 100 watt/ch amp enough to drive 2CEs to satisfying levels in a 26×15' room?

helomech
Sorry to hear as you want everyone to be happy with their systems.  Wish Johnny had a shot at seeing what was up.  I know the magic he's done in my room with both teh Treo's and then Quatro's.....good luck going forward.
I would say that each speaker 3 feet in from the side wall were too close together and too far out from the front wall for proper power response.Like I said have the truck re-route and I'll pay half if we don't succeed.  simple, compliance and call me asap
                      Best JohnnyR

@helomech I think you're doing the right thing. Trust your ears. I liked the 1ci's but decided to "upgrade" to the 2ce. For a year, I did everything but stand on my head to get them to work for me. In the end I let them go and now have Kef R11's and haven't looked back.

The 2ce's do some things remarkably well but I found my listening was limited to the best 25 audiophile recordings. Now I can put on just about anything, and my speaks sound great.

Switching from SS (Belles Aria) to Tubes (Rogue Cronus Magnum III) added another layer of sweetness to my setup.

Best of luck to you,
joe

JohnnyR at Audio Connection will provide clarity about anything Vandersteen. He hooked me up with AQ GO-4 with my 1Ci's... a great match - sounds really nice and spades fit perfect.

Yes, I should mention that JohnnyR went to great lengths to help me get my Vandies dialed in. At the end of the day, they just weren’t for me. But I greatly appreciated his help.