Calling all Vandersteen Fans

A little over a year ago I owned he 1Cis for a short time. While I enjoyed many aspects of the speaker, I found their top-end was a bit ripe and sibilant, with multiple amps. I ended up having to attenuate the treble by 1.5db in order to enjoy them at all.

Lately I've been thinking about how well those speakers produced a realistic decay of instruments, the likes of which I haven't encountered in any other speakers. I'm wanting to give Vandersteens another chance and am considering the 2CE SigIIs, however, it appears they and the 3As have the same tweeter as the 1Cis. That and the measurements in the Stereophile review give me pause. I suppose it could be that I didn't allow the 1Cis enough break-in, or that I was actually hearing upper midrange distortion from their 8" midbass driver

I'm soliciting input from those very familiar with the brand. Would you say the 2 Sig IIs produce a warmer balance than the 1Cis? Do they in-fact share the same exact tweeter? 

Is a 100 watt/ch amp enough to drive 2CEs to satisfying levels in a 26×15' room?

helomech

Showing 8 responses by tomic601

the Anticables copper spades are very soft and yield a nice gas tight connection without excessive torque.

helomech have they arrived yet ???
great choice ! enjoy them in good health. 
my memory is the factory cold welds the crimp and they sell silver solder IF you must solder, takes quite the iron to muck with that stuff...
i have my Thiel 2.3 running currently w Canare Quad, evaluating it vs a loom of Type 4
I have been enjoying some Kimber in my CT system, it is an internal biwire, was supposed to be temporary as I got lengths needed sorted in new room, but finding it a good system match w overall system, my next move there will be external biwire with it. Certainly an affordable wire, I think it is Tc12
I really like the extreme value anticables present, IF WAF can be overcome. My brother fan his 3a sig for years w them, untill a move caused change in WAF, he now has a shotgun biwire pair of type 4

Vandersteen and Low of AQ share the dbs patent and most v dealers carry AQ. The model 7 amos come w 128 v DBS and AQ speaker cables for a reason, but you should think of them as a system

trying other wire is always good

seriously, if somebody wants to borrow the Type 6 ( which is ancient by AQ standards, by all means just send a pm )
I have a nice 12’ set of type 6 in a shotgun biwire config, vandersteen spades at speaker end, they have about 6 k miles on them, I loan them to unbelievers, all I ask is return shipping via USPS flat rate box...$13

i am not an AQ dealer

@peterclemens83

wow cool, can you post a picture in the virtual systems ? warehouse vibe w VLR-CT
how cool

and yes the carbon tweeter is a wonder
however, IF ya do call, suggest reading the ask Richard FAQ on the website for ? about older models
focus any ? on current 1 vs 2 vs 3, try dealer first, Johnny R for East, Jon at Ultra for midwest/ north, Alan at Hifi Buys for South, .....you get idea....really nice guys IMO
Victor in Tacoma is a cool dude 2 .....
I had the most recent 1ci in my “ Vintage room “ for about 6 months driven by a hot rod MC240, while I dont hear what you are hearing, they are not as refined and smooth as the Two, Three, etc. They cant be due to the limitations of the 2 way architecture and protecting the tweeter - a two way has a much lower duty cycle. The 1ci are now living happily in brother in laws system with Odyssey power and a Mofi ultradeck, Bronze...no trace of strain, glare, but his preamp is tubes and it is a small room w moderate listening level.
the current two is outstanding, have heard them recently in big room on both Rogue and VTL gear, sweet. I owned a pair of the 3a sig for 8 years, the acoustic couple IMO requires an amp w guts to control it ....but they do rock and as others mentioned have tweeter and mid from the five
RV answers the phone, his input would be good.And Johnny R here on audiogon

have fun, enjoy the music
it sounds like you are approaching your potential change with great introspection and thoughtful approach
best to you
jim