Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
I've found very good cable options for modest price.

If these did not fit the bill, I would consider spending more, but I am not inclined to do that. I get hours and hours of listening pleasure every week out of a very modest investment in wires.

So my advice is stick to the most common well reviewed (by user) options for modest cost to start. Consider changing and maybe paying somewhat more only if good reason. You should find something that works well for modest cost.

last thing I would recommend is to spend a fortune out of teh gate on any wires thinking that will solve all your problems. It almost certainly will not and you may find you have change yet again later once the real issues at hand have been addressed.

So basically, walk before you run, don't jump into teh deep end without testing the waters first, etc., all those good old cliche good practices that tend to almost always work best, including for getting the good sound you want.

Lastly, be very cautious of anyone who tells you wires are the main key to good sound. They will likely contribute as a tweak to get you to a better place perhaps but alone can do little.
"Value." Isn't that usually in the ear of the listener? Hype? Sure, reams and reams of hype, not only regarding cables, but for a lot of high-end audio, period.

A friend of mine uses all Shunyata cables in his reference system. These wires alone cost more than a new economy car. He maintains the cables give him the "final 5 percent." I don't know if that means resolution, sound stage, etc, or musical enjoyment or if, in his mind, they are one in the same.

All you folks who figure bigbux wires are "worth it" and "must-haves", go for it. Bless you.

Even if I were wealthy, I can't imagine spending umpteen thousands of dollars on wires, no matter how highly touted they are. Earlier this year I auditioned Magnepan 1.7 speakers at a local dealer. The speaker cables he was using retailed around $50,000 for a 12' pair. The entire staff of the store was said to have been able to hear the "difference" between those cables and much more modestly priced cables that sold for about $2500/ pair, even when they weren't in the listening room. For me, $2500 cables are still pretty darn expensive.

Past a certain point, I think most audiophile are certifiably crazy, including perhaps even myself, although my system is relatively modest and based on vintage tube electronics which I've had for decades.
Mapman, well said.

But some still believe Cables are Magic!!

If they were I think you would see real audio companies such as ARC, Cary, VTL, Sanders, Soundsmith, Magnepan, Wilson, Vandersteen, etc really stress cables.

They don't, and just tell you to use a quality cable.

Check out what these guys use at Audio Shows if you want to know what really makes a difference.
Macdad - the investment in developing cable architectures, choosing a wire and plugs, spec-ing you own cable designs is significant and a whole different science compared to circuits and quality parts.

I asked a manufacturer the same question and his answer...
- why should I bother
- the customer will do what they want anyway
- it's a waste of my energies.

And he is right.

At this point in time though, component manufacturers will give you as cheep a cable as they can get away with. It's called designing to a price point.

Most components can perform way above what their provided cables will allow them to - I've personally demonstrated it time and again to others.

And that's why there is a whole cable industry out there!

As for seeing component companies develop cables - it has already started - NAIM has carried their own line for years and their new amps have caused them to bring out a whole new line of cables.

Do you think other companies are going to sit back and let them rule the roost?

I doubt it

Only time will tell :-)

Regards...
Do you think other companies are going to sit back and let them rule the roost?
I think that horse has already fled the barn and is into the next county. Sure, some companies offer their own cables (another is Ayre who offers cables constructed by Cardas) but folks are so into buying what they want that whether a manufacturer offers cables or not is virtually a moot point.
Sure some manufacturers will offer their own cables as a convenience to customers, but more likely as another way to make money because, the cable industry has been a money-maker for many...for the very reason stated in the question that started this thread.