Cables 101 for a beginner

Let's say you don't use any fancy interconnects, power conditioners or power cords...

... what should you start out with? Is there a priority? Are there general rules of thumb?

(right now I've got a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i, a VTL integrated amp that's almost here!, and I'm hoping to upgrade my CD player to something in the 1-1.5K range, and some MIT terminator4 speaker cables)

Thanks!
128x128dennis_the_menace

Showing 1 response by rgd

There is a plethora of opinions on the subject of cables so we can't cover them all quickly. My 2 rules of thumb that I try and go by are:

1."Try before you buy" if you can. If you can't then buy used - helps if you have to or want to re-sell.

2."What is lost at the beginning cannot be recovered." I always try my best cable at my source to preamp link to ensure I've maximized the signal at the outset. This doesn't mean that your "most expensive" cable has to be the one that goes there but its always a good place to start.

You can always audition cables via an outfit called the Cable Co. or maybe its www.fatwyre.com where for a fee they will loan you a number of cables and the fee can be applied against the purchase price if you decide to buy.