Cables 101 for a beginner

Let's say you don't use any fancy interconnects, power conditioners or power cords...

... what should you start out with? Is there a priority? Are there general rules of thumb?

(right now I've got a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i, a VTL integrated amp that's almost here!, and I'm hoping to upgrade my CD player to something in the 1-1.5K range, and some MIT terminator4 speaker cables)

Thanks!
128x128dennis_the_menace

Showing 4 responses by dennis_the_menace

Well, I heard back from the Cable Co. They really do have a library policy, allowing anyone to check out cords. All you need to give them is 10% of the cost. They will later credit this back to your next purchase. (you pick of the shipping cost of loaners, they pay for shipping purchases)

They also recommend cables for your system (mine consists of Aerius i, VTL IT85, AudioAero Prima or another tubed CD player.. haven't yet decided!, a Technics 1200 turntable, and a Numark mixer). The brands they said I should look into include:

for interconnects:
--Discovery Cable
--Synergistic Research
--Audioquest
--Harmonic Technology

and for speaker cables:
--Synergistic Research
--Audioquest
--Harmonic Technology
--MIT

I also think I'm going to get a few Acoustic Zen. This is going to be great! I'll get a chance to get a bunch of cables, ranging in brand and price, and really see what sounds best, and how much of a difference cables can really make!!
Audioengr ... Just read your Audio FAQ. It was pretty intense. Definitely helped me to understand some cable questions I had, and I can see going back to your FAQ as a reference source... lot of hard work looks like, thank you!
Lots of great suggestions, thank you.

RE: losing the MIT terminator 4; I already own these. I could sell them and replace them, but I'm not sure how important that would be.

Finding a place that will loan out cables to test (for a fee) sounds too good to be true! I went to fatwyre.com, and emailed them. We'll see what they say. I couldn't find any reference to a "loan" policy on their site.

RE: getting two 20 amp dedicated circuits, that sounds like a good idea. I realize power is important, I work on computers, and many people don't realize how important the power supply is for computer performance. However, I live in a condo building, so I'm not sure I would be allowed to make that kind of electrical change. At the very least, I'd have to have it approved by the board. What about a power supply? Would that do the same thing?

Shielded cables sounds important... I have a feeling there is a lot of interference where I live (I'm in downtown DC).
... OOPS, spoke too soon. fatwyre.com does have a "library" policy...

http://www.fatwyre.com/about.html