Cable thoughts

Looking for Opinions. I'm using a pair of NBS Monitor IV XLR that date back to early 2k's. Bought them used way back when. I'm considering purchasing a set of Transparent Audio Ultra XLR with original mm1 technology, not mm2 or recent gereration 5. The price is pretty good BUT I don't want to go equal, slightly better or backwards. Just looking for some thoughts. I know at one time these were nice sounding cables but not sure how compared to today's technology. I also am using a pair of TA Super xlrs mm2 from my Ayre Codex DAC to Proceed AVP 2+6. Most of my gear is old but I love it and it still sounds great. Looking to economically upgrade thus I'm financially incapable of buying the latest greatest. 
128x128luvrockin

Showing 2 responses by mikey8811

The NBS you have are better cables than the Transparent Ultra's.

Just try them in your system. You'll find the NBS more coherent and linear overall.

The Transparent's have a different sound. They are thicker overall. If you like that, then go for the Reference over the Ultra.

OK I think the Monitor series is leaner sounding than the Classic series. The Classic series is great because they are linear and coherent throughout but still maintain body and fullness throughout.

Ayre is reputedly lean sounding although the Codex uses the double diamond stage which is meant to be fuller sounding. Ayre gear works well with Transparent or MIT which both give a fuller sound - I prefer MIT as I find Transparent can sound thick. Ayre themselves recommend Cardas cabling - so maybe try those perhaps from the older range as opposed to the current Clear range.

Did you try the NBS in the pre to amp position? I am guessing that if you use the Transparent Ultra's you have from Ayre Codex to pre and the NBS Classic series (if not the Monitor you have) from pre to power amp (what power amp do you use?), you will be happy. Try that and see how it works out.