Cable help for NEWBIE

Hi all: I have a Marantz SR8000 Receiver (DD/DTS-24 bit/96kHz)@105WPC, and just purchased a Denon DVM 3700(used)DVD/CD changer that suports these features. At present, the setup will be a 2 channel system (Maggie MMG'S as fronts). My question: what cabling will I need? Additionally, the back of the Denon DVD has two(2) slots: 1.Coaxial and 2.Optical, however even though I have the manual for both Units, I sadly can't quite comprehend how these 2 outputs comes into play.I was hoping that you kind experts could help.
mandrake

Showing 2 responses by lakerat2124

Mandrake, The outputs are for you to pass the 5.1 signal(AC-3 and dts) to your reciever to decode. You will need a good digital coaxial cable to make this happen. Canare makes 2 great cables which you can find on this site $27-$40, just put Canare in the search. Stereophile compared these cables to other cables 5-10x as expensive. This solves your audio, now you need a S-video or Component Video(best picture) cable to get the picture to your reciever or directly to the TV(depending on your setup desrire). Would also check Canare cable(or Audioquest, Kimber, Transparent). If you use the audio out(left and right) this will be analog stereo only. This may be perferrable on stereo music. You can buy used audio cables for great deals. Audioquest, Kimber, etc... there is a thread on cables. Homegrown Audio sounds interesting. I use Audiotruth(analog) and Canare(coax digital). Good luck...LR
Mandrake, sorry, to get 5.1, you will need the rest of the speakers(center, surrounds, and sub)....LR