Cable Burn In Problem

I'm trying out some interconnects, XLR. Problem is, I don't want to put 100+ hours on my CD laser, or my preamp tubes, or my hot-running, electric-consuming power amp.

The only solution I se is this. It is possible for me to find some old tubes to put in the preamp (which has balanced and rca inputs and outputs), and have that running into the turned off power amp. Supposedly just the connection is enough, but, of course, the preamp has to be on and have signal going through it.

I don't have any source to hook to the preamp except my digital player, which again, I don't want to put this mechanical and laser life on.

I do have an old receiver, but it has only rca's, so it is useless.

Any possible suggestions?
saxo

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

Interconnects will very greatly in their audible differences before burn-in. There's NO short-cut to the length of time it takes, because it's time/voltage that charges the dielectric. I have used a tuner/old, spare receiver (FM output via tape out, tuned to a rap station for the bass/mucho voltage) to perform the output duty(find adapters for the XLR/rca) to save on LASER time. The pre-amp or power amp don't have to be turned on at all.
Saxo- Any source that provides line voltage (be it in the form of FM interstation noise, pink/brown/white noise or music signal) to the interconnects will do. Having them connected to the pre-amp, without the pre-amp turned on is all that is necessary for a successful burn-in. The dielectric and conductor couldn't care less what genre the voltage is! When the interconnect is finally placed in it's permanent station, it will still go through a further stage of adjustment, but the majority of the burn-in will have been accomplished(without wasted hours on your tubes, LASER, ears, family's nerves, etc).