C-J Premier 12's vs. ARC VT100 MKII--advice?

I'm always thinking about upgrading something--you know how it is. An amp I always wanted to try is the Conrad Johnson Premier 12 monos-blocs. My question is, would they be an upgrade from my ARC VT100 MKII? The ARC is an excellent amp. However my impression from reading about the P12's is that they would probably sound more "lush", & possibly have a better soundstage & depth. Any comments? Used Premier 12's seem to be going for around $3500 used--they are discontinued--but being replaced by a new model (possible reason to hold off?)

Rest of my system: VTL TL2.5 preamp w/phono stage, Cary 303/200 CDP, Fanfare tuner, Rega P25 w/Benz Glider, alternating between B&W M802SIII & Merlin TSM-M speakers. Cables are Nordost Blue Heaven between CDP & pre-amp, & DH Labs bi-wire speaker cables.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
steveaudio

Showing 1 response by brulee

Hi Steve, this is a difficult question. The CJ 12 monos are way too colored for my tastes. The ARC would be more to my likeing because they have IMO, less coloration. I really wouldn't use either in my system. If rich, warm laid back, plump bass is your kind of sound, the CJ may be just what you are looking for. They are very forgiving and most recordings will be gentle,with much less tension. The ARC are a bit to dry, less warm, and much less forgiving than the CJ IMO. Both can be just what is needed depending on what is important to you. I hope Tubegroover responds to your thread. He will lead you in the best direction for amplification for those very fine Merlin speakers. Try the Berning and I think it will make your decsion a very easy one. Good hunting. Your system is excellent, and deserving the best you can offer it. BERNING! Though opinions may differ, you already have a very good amp. Just not my cup of wine. Don't be surprised if you get ten or more different opinions. Mine is just one of many to come.
I hope whatever amp you choose brings you closer to the music.