C.d player with built in Pre amps i.e Wadia

Hi
Just wondering what manufacture's make a CD player that uses a digtal volume control, so you can connect straight to the poweramp? is it a better way to go if you dont have any other need for a Pre-amp, currently using a passlabs X01? I only realy know of Wadia and the Opus 21, what else is out there.
Thanks
k_rose

Showing 2 responses by sm2727

I've had the Pass Labs D-1 dac and ran it direct into my power amps with incredible results. I then ran it through a modded BAT 51 SE pr-amp (a great pre-amp) and was shocked how much better it sounded direct. Since then, I've had the DCS Delius, Audio Aero Capitol 2 and the latest is the Wadia 581SE running direct to monoblocks. I'll never even consider a pre-amp again (unless I win the lotto and go to vinyl). Fully balanced operation (Pass Labs, DCS and Wadia)makes a big difference if you have any distance to travel. I also believe the digital volume when set up correctly is the best sounding. My experience is that pre-amps can add color if that is your goal. But for pacing, separation and ability to handle complicated signals a properly set up dac or cd player running direct is the best cost cutting tool for great sound. Nelson Pass told me that 3 volts from the D-1 would drive my Aleph 1.2's to full output with any length of cable(XLR) and he sells lots of pre-amps. I run my Wadia at 1 volt and can upset my neighbors. Best of luck
Nelson Pass does a nice job of explaining things in an article. You have to go through the wohole thing.
www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/first_watt_b1_preamplifier.