BW Nautilus 805, better to have them ported or sealed

Hi, i had to ask people, who've heard the Nautilus 805 speakers. I notice these speakers are ported. Thats that hole beneath the 6 1/2 kelvar midbase. Do people think its best for this speaker to be ported, or would it be best for it to be sealed. See i would think, if someone is going to use a Sub with the Nautilus 805, i would rather have them sealed and not ported. Someone told me, that BW did made them ported, to boast the bass in the Nautilus 805 speakers. That might be a good idea, if you were going to use the Nautilus 805s without a sub. But i prefer to get a natural sound and not to boast any bass.
twilo

Showing 1 response by bmpnyc

The ports in the B&W 805's are designed to prevent bass bloat, while still maximizing bass in a small speaker. That's what those dimples in the port are for. I use my N805's with a REL sub and do not have any overlapping of bass frequencies whatsoever. Would love to have a second sub though, it would stabilize room modes. I guess I'll have to wait until I get a bigger place to live in before acccomodating a second sub.