Buying "Sound Unheard"

I find myself in a quandry. As much as I know (and recommend) that "audition, audition, audition before purchasing" is the best means to system matching and "audio fulfillment," I find myself doing somewhat the opposite and purchasing quality equipment based on reviews and more importantly, the opinions of peers. Luckily, in my last three purchases (phono stage, cartridge, and now line stage) I've been fortunate in that they've been major boosts to my system. Living where I do, there just isn't access to the brands I'm interested in, plus my schedule is unforgiving. I'm curious as to how many others find themselves in this position, and the resources they use to get around it (including the obvious one - this web site!). As many threads as I see inquiring as to the characteristics of this-and-that, I would suspect that many of "us," especially those in rural or semi-rural areas are in this position. Just Curious. -John
musikdok
follow these two rules, & yule never have a problem buying sound-unheard: 1)if buying brand-gnu, be sure there's an in-home audition period. if not, & yure not happy w/the product, ewe will surely take a bath financially. even selling something at 75% of retail, which can be difficult w/even *almost-gnu* equipment, can be costly, w/the prices of some of our *toys*. 2) buy used; that way ewe can re-sell for pretty-much what ya paid. i recently bought 4 used-or-closeout preamps w/in about 5 months; sold 3 w/o losing any money, & kept the one i liked.

c'mon musikdok, how much of a risk were ya taking, buying that melos preamp i recommended? it wooda gone away w/little financial loss if ewe decided it weren't what i said it was cracked-up to be, no? but, i guess yule be keeping it for a bit, eh ;~)

regards, doug s.

hmmm, negative feedback for my last post - i guess there's someone who feels ya shouldn't buy used, or ya shouldn't buy gnu w/an audition period. mebbe a disgruntled snobby dealer? ;~)

regards, doug s.

Thanks for the responses thus far. No Doug, I didn't feel like I was taking a risk with the Melos insofar as your recommendation was concerned. My concerns were with the veracity of the seller regarding the condition of the unit etc (the "sight unseen" aspect). Still waitin' for the new toobs BTW - the place screwed up and dint overnite them as expected. Hey Craig - I agree that the internet (and Audiogon in particular) has permanently changed the approach to used and/or unfamiliar-yet-intriguing equipment. Just in the last year I've bought either equipment, cables, or LPs from the U.K., Canada, Hong Kong, The Netherlands and Belgium. It's pretty damned cool IMHO, as is exchanging ideas with youse "Audiogoners." -John
hi musikdok, i was yust teasing regarding my melos comments - i *know* yuve figured out how nice it is to buy used components & then be able to sell them w/little financial pain, if it doesn't work out in yer system! but, i must be really offending that stuck-up dealer, as my last post has also garnered a bit-o-negative feedback! :>) face it, who-ever-ewe-are, the internet has forever changed traditional buying-selling relationships, & this is true not only in the audio world.

regards, doug

I agree with Garfish, you can't do better than progressiveaudio.com they are located in Columbus, Ohio and I have alway found them to be very helpful and extremely fair.