Buying equipment

Ok, I've been looking online to put together a system and man is it frustraring. I live in rural wyoming and cannot go to a stereo store. So I will need to buy online.

None of the companies sell their components online, they only refer me to a dealer. Then even on the dealer's sites there are very few photos and again no prices. I did find 6moons' site, but it is tedious clicking through reviews to get to the bottom and find out its $45,000.

Amazon doesn't have much that is interesting- I want something unique and all that I would have access to is Sonos, Focal, 'Bird', marantz, and yamaha. Fleawatt is done building for the year and that seems to be it.

I'm looking for a tight little system that will fill the living room of a one bedroom apartment with hardwood floors.

I want something that will play standard CD's and one that I can eventually hook up a Pro-ject turntable to.

Any help of how to find a system to buy?

Thanks,
S.
swarthy

Showing 4 responses by zd542

The one thing that I can't stress enough, is the need to listen to equipment before you buy it. Its extremely difficult going by reviews, especially if you don't have much experience with audio. That said, you're not as bad off as you may think. There's a really good dealer in Ft. Collins Colorado, of all places. The Name of the store is Audio Alternative. Its not the kind of place that you have to go to because you live in the middle of nowhere. Its the kind of place you want to go to. If I was in a city like Denver, that has a few high end shops, I would still go there. I don't know how far away the store is from you, but its probably no more than a day trip. He's great at putting together systems that sound great and don't cost a fortune.

Another excellent choice is a place called The Cable Company (www.fatwyre.com). They're not close to you, so shipping will be your only option with them. But what makes them unique is that they lend out audio components that they have demo units of, so you can try things in your system before you make a commitment to buy it. I've been dealing with them for many years and they've always have been extremely reputable.

So, between those 2 dealers, you'll have more quality choices than you'll know what to do with. You just can't go wrong with either one.

By the looks of it, you may have missed my first post. There's an excellent dealer in Ft. Collins called Audio Alternative. I'm not sure how far away you, but its definitely worth the drive. I've done business with him in the past, and he's really good at setting up affordable systems that sound great. His inventory is large enough so that you can hear a good selection of gear.
Swarthy,

Don't take this the wrong way, but how come up with all that is beyond belief. I made the recommendation based on how reputable the store is. All this stuff about their business model and comparing the store to cell phone industry. Its one of the silliest posts I've ever read.

"Thanks for the tip, I did see your first post. FoCo is on the border-several hours away. Though I prefer to buy from a "mom and pop", if you read the original post, I bemoaned exactly what Audio Alternative sales structure is. No Prices, no online cart, and all their product links take you to the respective corporate webpages."

The guy converted a portion of his house to serve as his store. Something tells me it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to call the store "mom and pop". And of course there are no prices and online carts. Its no Best Buy.

"Which is fine, but I go there, and come back and want to buy it, I have to then spend a a few days sending emails, playing phone tag, in which I can or will be told that I really should check out xxx speakers and yyy cables and that they have a great deal on exactly what I need and they will throw in a pair of high end isolation feet and an Audio Alternative USB thumb drive, and I say "yes,yes, yes."

I get a headache just reading that paragraph. I'm not sure I even understand what you're trying to say.

"And when the boxes arrive, I say, "S@$#, I needed four isolation feet!" I call em back to order another "pair" and also end up ordering a used/demo/open box Record Cleaner that had just arrived in the store that day."

Really?

"Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Audio Alternative would do any of that. But that is reason why that business model is set up."

What business model is that? You've never had any contact with the place. You could only be guessing.

"Similar to when you go into a cell phone store/car lot and none of the prices are listed (BTW, the sales price of a car IS listed on the car for the salesman- you just have to know how/where they generally will hide them:)."

Thanks for the info. I'll use it the next time I go by a car and cell phone.

"The seller doesn't want you shopping by price only 'features' and this will also guarantee that a buyer will be required to 'go through' a salesperson (rather than a cashier) to make a purchase. "

Lucky for you, they don't have any cashiers or salespeople. You get to deal with the owner directly.

"I could go further with the Norman Peale speel. But I hope you see what I am and what I am not looking for.
I don't want to be sold something. I want to buy something-and there is a difference
Swarthy (Threads | Answers | This Thread)."

Actually, I have no idea as to what you're looking for. I have an MBA and a degree in psychology, and can tell you that from reading all of your comments about business, I need psychology to make sense of it all. But to be honest, I don't think I have anywhere near the amount of education in psych required to diagnose on your level.
"FWIW I am unable to travel more than an hour (without about 3-7 days worth of planning)"

I do believe that.

"I am unable to walk around and look at stuff nor sink down into cushy recliners to listen as sounds are offered to me and acoustic room treatments explained in a heavily sound dampened room."

I'm just amazed at how you come up with all these ridiculous ideas. You've never had any kind of contact with this dealer whatsoever, yet you know they have cushy recliners and heavily dampened sound rooms. If you're clairvoyant and know all of these specific details without observation, then why did you post in the first place? You seem to know everything before everyone else does. Maybe you forgot to take your meds. All I know for sure is that if we could read your mind like you can read ours. we would be board with our own.