Buying a used Oracle Delphi Mk_ ?

Any comments on what to look for and/or to avoid in a used Oracle - or whether to look for or to avoid a used Oracle in the first place? The idea would be to pay a modest price and then to upgrade gradually as the budget welcomed, enjoying the music in the meantime.

Our system hasn't been complete in over a decade, as we moved around too much to 'do it right': A humbly exquisite little modified Dynaco 70 in triode is all there is of it at present; in the past it included a Walker turntable with Audioquest (which we thought were listenable under the circumstances) and Spika T-60 speakers (which we adored). Thank you all for any input you think relevant.
saffron

Showing 3 responses by genesis168

I used to own a MK3 and if you know how to set it up, it is not too hard. Oracle provides a tool to setup the suspension. I find this easy to use BUT further fine tuning is requred to make the setup perfect.

When the Delphi is setup correctly, you can bounce the TT via the spindle while the TT is playing and it WILL NOT mistrack...that's when it is setup up correctly.

All 3 springs will bounce together in sync and will not affect tracking.

IMO, the ET toeanrms and other linear tracking like the Airtangent are NOT ideal to be used with the Delphis as they are very heavy. I know there are stiffer springs for the TT but they just will not work properly.
Oh, I forgot to mention. If you find a used Delphi, make sure the motor works properly, smoothly because there is no replacement parts for it.

Usually they last a long, long time. Soned and look wise, it is one of the greatest tables available out there.
If the suspension towers look different from the mk5, then it could be a mk1 or mk2. If yours does not have a 33/45 rpm switch, there is a huge possibility that it is a mk1. Hope it helps. Any questions, please email me.