Buying A Cartridge Direct From Japan

Seems like there can be some decent savings when buying certain cartridges directly from Japan, vs buying from here in the US. Since I'm just learning about cartridges, would there be any kind of difference between a Japan model and a US model, maybe electrically or something, that would prevent using a Japan model here in the US? I would think they would be exactly the same, but I want to be sure before I maybe do anything. Thanks.
duvallite
The savings achieved by purchasing in or from japan will vary widely depending upon the brand and the profiteering by its US importer. The Koetsu happens to be a brand that is very inflated in the US. In contrast, On a recent trip to Tokyo I found that an AT ART7 costs about the same, here vs there. About 8 years ago I bought a Koetsu Urushi from a certified dealer in Tokyo for around $1500.

Interestingly, it seems that Koetsu has stopped selling new cartridges to the Japanese market. So it’s no longer the best place to find discounted new Koetsu, as they will likely be re-imports (but still better than the US distributor prices, which are stratospheric). However, you can still get a Koetsu rebuilt in Japan, which makes for an excellent value proposition if using a reasonable deputy service; EIFL advertises this, though I haven’t tried them. The full-rebuild price of any stone-body platinum, from Japan or Asia, is around 2200 give or take 100 -- and since it’s a full rebuild, and not just a re-tip, you essentially get a new cartridge on your old shell. Whereas the US dealers want in excess of $5000 (last I checked) for the strenuous service of passing a single 16 Oz. package two ways; tidy little profit, I’d say.

If you do it right, the total cost of ownership for a Koetsu (Onyx, Coralstone, Blue Lace) is actually by far the MOST reasonable amongst the high-end cartridges, which flies in the face of their long-earned reputation for ludicrously priced cartridges. I’ve been extremely happy with mine, for several years now.
If I want a rosewood standard or rosewood signature, is there a route to get it relatively inexpensively, either new or a reliable demo, and feel very confident about it's provenance?

Stay away from 2juki! He took my money and the cartridge. Not good, he sales fake goods!