Buyer Beware!

Man, I'm pissed! What about sellers that post over $6000 in analog gear then they don't return any email answers for 2 days. Then you find after your 4th email the seller has deleted the item. He answered the 5th email in which I asked for an explanation with "when I checked my email this morning I had 50 emails on the _____ and I sold it to the first email which I thought was fair and deleted the listing since it was sold" This item was posted for sale at approximately 50 % of retail at around 11pm est this past Wednesday evening and I emailled immediately with a message I would pay his asking price. He didn't answer until after his deletion with his lame reply. I feel as though someone's full of sh*t. I can't leave negative feedback as there was no transaction per se. So buyers beware of first time sellers here. And check them for feedback or lack of. I've been a member of this community for about 6 months and really like buying and selling here. I also enjoy the boards. Maybe the Powers that Be here could create a new class of sellers here. Like something along the lines of a Verifed Seller or denote on posted ads that the individual is a first time seller. I apologize for blowing off steam, but I still think I've been lied to by someone who still has other gear posted here for sale.
sober1
Here's a nice ending after all. My earlier post described an unidentified dealer who stated post auction that they didn't have the item after all. But after a courteous E-mail exchange, the dealer, HCM Audio, not only located a unit elsewhere, but arranged to have it Saturday delivered before Christmas at no extra charge (it's to be a gift). I believe the item auctioned for less than cost, and cross-country Saturday expedited delivery is not cheap. So it turned out a pleasant experience after all to find folks like Capri Maybrun and HCM Audio - they were indeed honorable and prompt even in the face of a loss.
I've dealt with HCM and Capri before. Ulike you,never had a problem, but concur on them being honarble and prompt.
Hello, I have neither bought or sold via internet. However, I am about to make my first "buy". I don't know how to do it that is safe for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Joe
I don't think we should judge sellers by whether they answer all emails or not. I try to, but sometimes time is short. We should judge the seller (and buyer) by the quality and results of transactions we complete or in which we participate. I find that Audiogon members are a pleasure to deal with, and I have had no problems in the few transactions I have completed. My suggestion is to follow the same rules we would follow in off-line transactions, i.e., exercising care to judge the buyer or seller and structuring the transaction to minimize the chances of dissatisfaction or a rip-off. There are flaky people everywhere and we have to trust our instincts. If you don't feel good about the way a transaction is going, don't complete it - find another buyer or seller.