Buyer Beware

Audiogon has seen a number of fake accounts trying to rip off members. If you come across an item that seems very low in price and advertised by a brand new member the chances are it is a fake account trying to rip you off. My suggestion is to not attempt to buy from any of these accounts.

They have figured out how to get bogus tracking accounts from USPS, which look like an item was delivered to your house. Until you can prove that nothing was delivered, which can take time, you are out of your money. In some cases, the more that time passes the less likely you can prove this.

I’m not sure why Audiogon can not do a better job of filtering these scammers out but there are a number of ads up now that are most definitely scams.

raymonda

I've seen many of "these" for sale ads in the early morning hours.

Only members with half a brain would take them seriously as they are so obvious.

Next we will see the same ads (zero feedback/zero post sellers) asking prices slightly more a-tune to the market, but still low enough to bait resident mouth breathers.

Anyone else notice the recent "pick up in person ads of this genre", which I assume require PIF beforehand?

DeKay

If it is local pickup only then I pay when I pick it up. It’s not rocket surgery. Oh I also go strapped just in case. 

You’re not overthinking it for him. This has been a tactic for decades. The account and routing numbers will be correct, but the name won’t be, and it will not be caught right away. By the time it does, your friend will think it has cleared. These things are never legit. Next thing you know the amount of the check will be for more than the purchase price and the buyer will be asking for the difference to be wired to him for a small fee that will be something the buyer will try to make look legit (the over amount and the fee). 

.If it's paid by check when you go to your bank you can aske the teller

to put a hold on their account and check that there is money in that account to cover the check