Buy a pair of ten year old $40,000 speakers for $4,000 or new ones at that price point?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about speakers? I know it can depend on the specific model but in general is a 10 year old speaker system that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sells for $4,000 a better value than a new system that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has speaker and crossover technology evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about amps in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom.
mcmanus
DACs change too much and we need the newer technology.  I guess I am wondering in what ways DACs have changed that much over the years?

It is hard to answer a question where we do not have an idea of the product.  The 10Ts are a good speaker for the $2K especially.  There are many older speakers that have great sound.  IMF, Alon, KEF, B&W 801, etc.

Happy Listening.
"All electronics,speakers invest less then 25% of its cost including the case work ,or cabinet actually goes into the cost ,the rest overhead ,and markup..."- audioman51

I do know that there’s one place that’s not the case, it is however very rare.
I know a bespoke builder in Australia who uses 12AWG hand wound air core inductors, Duelund cast capacitors, Duelund or Path Audio resistors, ultra thin, high purity copper ribbon internal speaker wiring, no PCB whatsoever. Makes 4-6mm steel lined enclosures, the design tuned by ear and a stethascope over years.
And after the speaker is fully assembled, had a tuning bay on the back to fine tune the circuit which is measured and listened to, the drivers had already been broken in, before installation. By a craftsman who used to sight sniper rifles. Almost nobody knows him in USA, well except some people who are very lucky and some recording studious.

Yeah, he’s not a wealthy man.

Buy the used ones if they can be listened to and impress you. I build and repair speakers and see the effects of time often. 10 years isn’t even half the life expectancy of quality drivers and crossovers. So if undamaged and play well you -have a bargain. Driver technologies and crossovers have not improved that much. Not at the $4k level today compared to $40k a decade ago. The older design has the possibility of being much better. I said “possbility” because there is no guarantee the older speakers were any good new.  Enclosure design has improved, but speakers incorporating that advanced technology cost more than your hypothetical $4k today. If the older speakers wow you, don’t let age be a concern. 
Any amps or speakers, new or used, sound awesome when you mix with a bottle of vodka.