Buy a pair of ten year old $40,000 speakers for $4,000 or new ones at that price point?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about speakers? I know it can depend on the specific model but in general is a 10 year old speaker system that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sells for $4,000 a better value than a new system that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has speaker and crossover technology evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about amps in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom.
mcmanus
Post removed 
Let's assume you already have a darn good system, i.e. speaker choice that sound darn good in your room. Beyond your budget 'might' give 'better' results.

Oh boy, what a deal! You skipped the first question, even free, will they be 'better'? Likely, but not always the case.

"Deal or No Deal?" There is little risk in acquiring a great bargain in good shape, you will be able to sell them for a profit later, soon if they don't work out, or later if a magic new technology is invented (likely very expensive).

I am 70, been involved, auditioning quality audio products for 50 years. My lifetime favorite speakers, current, were designed and manufactured in 1956. Drivers from Fisher President II console, Electrovoice horn tweeters and midranges, and 15" woofers, original crossovers, in a new enclosure designed by me, Electrovoice engineers, and my av consultant way back in 1978.

I have re-coned the woofers twice, the horns proven by 60 years to be bulletproof. I have a full spare set of drivers anyway, to keep them going for life (mine anyway).

Over the years I have acquired some great bargains, including speakers, the category subject to more audible change than anything else without doubt, the heart of your question. New designs with easily perceivable results will assuredly come.

However, stereo tape began in 1956, stereo lp in 1958, the quest for 'better', at any price, has also been going on for over 60 years. Change? People with Quads (i.e. .. ) are like Charlton Heston, good luck prying them from their dying hands!

The best deal in the world on an unknown sound, even if perfect shape is unwise. Search for reviews, find an expert with experience who might have heard them, all while checking out the condition, the first thing to check is the driver surrounds. 

I recently bought a pair of Aerial Acoustic 10T's which are older and in MINT condition for 2000$ with stands. and all boxes and paperwork! They sound amazing and will for years to come. I can't afford 7000$ (what they cost 20 years ago) so used is where I live. Anyone know the formula for then money to now?

I did buy a new pair of ML Vista's 10+ years ago and had nothing but problems with them... I'm pretty sure I am the only dude here that has a ML panel in his garden... so I went used with pistons. 

The AA's were the best I could do with a 2000$ budget...

No regrets and love listening again.
As long as the drivers are in good shape , rebuild the Xover 
with much higher grade parts ,for 90% of speakers are always 
built with cost savings.athe Xover is the heart of the speaker 
weak link in the chain , Ihave 20 years of  modding , this includes electronics also , the payoff is Huge often minimum 10-20% sonic  
improvement  lthese. Are facts quality does count .
i  just rebuilt my whole crossover ,and rewired my whole system 
with the best VH audio Thin film Teflon Solid Core 0-CrystalCopper
which made substantial increase in. Resolution and system synergy and saved $1,000s in what a new lesser speaker,electronics could provide. All electronics,speakers  invest 
less then 25% of its cost including the case work ,or cabinet actually goes into the cost ,the rest overhead ,and markup ,hat is why Modwright has been so successful in the past putting in premium parts in stock equipment.