Buy a $40,000 used DAC for $4,000 or a new one for the same amount?

The advancements in DAC technology make them one of this hobby's most perishable products. But ... what if you can buy a 10 year old DAC for $4,000 that initially cost $40,000? Is it a bargain or waste of money compared to a new DAC that is $4,000? I understand it depends on the specific model etc. But in general, has the technology gotten that much better? And how quickly will the new DAC become outdated? Is it like computers? Past their prime about 3-4 years so you plan to replace them regularly? Thanks for all comments
mcmanus

Showing 1 response by bigkidz

I see all of your posts are asking the same thing.  Just because a product retailed for $40K does not mean anything.  I have read where people say something is built like a tank.  All this means nothing until you understand design and what makes something sound good.  A heavy chassis does not mean built like a tank.

It comes down to the design and parts used.

the high resolution files simply uncovers more subtle nuances, warmth, depth of field and air around instruments and musicians.

This statement is simply not true at all.  Most high rez files do not have warmth compared to properly designed NOS DAC designs.  They may have more detail but in my experience give up the musical sound quality that NOS has.  But having a DHT DAC, I don't give up anything.

Happy Listening.