Buy a $40,000 10 year old amp for $4,000 or new amp for same money?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about amps and pre-amps? I know it can depend on the specific amp but in general is a 10 year old amp that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sell for $4,000 a better value than a new amp that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has amplification evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about speakers in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom. 
mcmanus
I think the gist of the Op’s Question was wondering if a super high priced 10 year old amp that is now more affordable a better option than a current new amp at the 10 year old’s current used price. I would say it depends on the amp and condition. Would internals need to be replaced ( caps, etc)? Plus, how old was the design when the amp was sold 10 years ago.

many would argue that current MC275’s are a pale comparison to earlier generations. 
My local dealer has a pair of Eggleston Works Andre Speakers for $2499. Original price $14999. Also a pair of Sonic Frontiers Power 3 Mono Amps/a box of extra matching tubes $4500 original price $12000. Both items in excellent shape. 
Hi,
@luxmancl38
as we discuss about amplifiers this is 38% compared to original price for a model made back in 1999 (22+ years) and not 10%. As i recall its srp was $9,999 and not $12,000 which raises the percentage to 45% (logical).
Opps! Hey I had to go to Summer School for Algebra. But if you want to see one section of audio gear that drops like a stone. Look at AVR's and AVR processors. I still have a Krell Showcase in my system. Could get about $400-$500 for an original price of $4000.