Buy a $40,000 10 year old amp for $4,000 or new amp for same money?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about amps and pre-amps? I know it can depend on the specific amp but in general is a 10 year old amp that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sell for $4,000 a better value than a new amp that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has amplification evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about speakers in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom. 
mcmanus
What $40,000 amp and speakers have you have seen that is selling for $4,000? Can you name one? I doubt it!
Often, that can be the case. All audio equipment depreciates over time. My current used Class A amp cost around me 50% of the MSRP, and is about seven or eight years old, if I recall correctly.

Can you give us more specifics about the amp?

Before my current amp, I ran a 125w Class A amp from the 1970s for the last eight years. I had to have it completely rebuilt but it gave me eight years of sweet Class A sound for a few grand. It was a 90lb beast.
@mcmanus has posted the same questions about DACs, Speakers and Amps.  Silly questions!
Hi,
from 40k to 4k in 10 years time something is not right.
Well, think of Wilson Speakers...
B