Burning in my Sony DVP-S9000ES -- best approach

Just bought a brand new Sony DVP-S9000ES at J&R (great new price -- $899), but will not be ready to move into my new apartment where it will live for a few weeks. Given comments from people on this board, I think I should take that time to burn this in. Question -- how do I do that? Do I simply plug it into the wall in a corner somewhere and have it play a cd on infinite repeat for days and days? Does it matter what cd? Does it need to be hooked to an amp or can it just run on its own? Does the same apply (separately) for SACD? Tips on how to take advantage of my several week window to properly break this puppy in would be much appreciated. Thanks
gheon

Showing 2 responses by gheon

I have been going with the "play it and listen" approach and am finding it quite rewarding. There really have been distinct improvements in stages. The difference in terms of the highs smoothing out and enhanced detail have been quite remarkable. I am periodically testing the player on a few of my reference tracks (for highs, lows, and detail) and the difference (especially in detail) has been amazing. I am probably up to about 50 hours and it is sounding quite good, but still needs a bit of refinement in the highs. I am looking forward to what it will sounds like once I get to 200+! (And I haven't even started on SACD yet!)
Thanks much for the good advice, I am very excited to get going with this puppy. I am somewhat torn on whether to listen to the break in (sounds intriguing, but frustrating at first) vs. use the fact that I cannot move in for the time being to get that done so that the music sounds great the first time I have people over. I will go hook it up to the A/V receiver and get it running a bit to get it started and then decide how much of the process I want to listen to later. I will also see if I can find a pair of Soft Shoes -- sounds great!

Thanks for all the ideas.