Burned out Audiophile - Trying to Find some Zen

Hello,

Wanted to know if others out there have felt the same way.

I think I am burned out of looking for the next best or just changing gear. I have decided, it really is like chasing a rainbow. I believe, I will not get much greater joy even if I continue to upgrade (now stand around 15K worth of gear) Sure, to get new gear is fun when you first get it, but them, as always, in a couple of months, the longing for change comes back. For those who have lots of money to continue the ongoing chase of sonic narvana - they can afford the chase. For me, maybe there are other things to pursue instead of a pair of speaker or DAC. I still listen and enjoy music, but I may have come to the end of my road as a restless searcher for sonic change/perfection.

Anyone else out there have successfully jumped off the buy and sell cycle? What have you done with yourself since? Have you felt the audiophile id calling for you again?

Just some passing thoughts- thanks
Rich
rich3549
-Sell all of your equipment and hitch-hike across the country looking for new adventures...or simply 'walk the earth' like Cain in 'Kung Fu'.
-Or, buy the new self titled release by the Duhks and 'Mercy Now' by Mary Gauthier, turn off the lights and listen.
Either way you should find peace.
Yes. Buy records.

They all sound different and that's the way they were meant to be.

When you upgrade the hardware and get into $$$$$$$$ territory don't you find it strange that you either have to sit on the edge of your chair with that "now I hear it, now I don't" thing going on in your mind or else you have to lie to yourself about how great a difference in sound any given update makes just to remain part of the audiophile gang and not feel like a sucker?

Buy music!
I have also been an Audiophile for over 35 years and also was co-owner in an audio salon. I burned out once and did not have a system for three years. After that time I slowly began to realize that external pressures as in, Stereophile and Absolute Sound and Audiophile friends with their crash and burn system changes, put me directly on the upgrade treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I was willing to do so and it was ultimately my fault, but it had to change. I slowly rebuilt an Audiophile system that was hand picked by me, through the experience of listening to equipment that satisfied my sense of nirvana. I lived with that system for six years without a change. I recently seriously upgraded and isolated the A/C in the system and speaker and pre-amp and cabling were also upgraded. I am truly satisfied with system before and after the upgrade and continue to listen to music two hours a night. I still read Sterophile and Absolute and still have audiophile friends, however; I think I have matured and keep the external influences in perspective.
A friend of mine recently worked for Harman International. With his employee discount, he put together a honkin' Levinson/Revel system (well over $10K retail). Then he got downsized. So, he sold all the gear and replaced it with a stereo Tivoli table radio and a Walkman (about $300 retail).

He still had surprisingly good-sounding music, and a fat wad of cash with which to pursue a new career in antique clock repair.

Me, I've only just now hit The Wall. I have as much, and as high quality, equipment as my budget can afford and my room can accomodate. Unless I win the lottery and/or move to a bigger house, there's no sane investment I can make in my system. I'm trying really hard to relax and just listen to the music. And there is a Zen to it, the Zen of not trying, which I only seem to acheive at the worst possible moment, like this morning, when I absolutely had to get out of The Chair and go to work...
While I am not burned out, I do try to be careful not to go crazy and spend big bucks on the "latest and greatest". I try to stick with a game plan.

That said, you may want to take a look at vintage gear. Buy yourself a nice 70-80's receiver like a Pioneer, Kenwood or Sansui, some old Advent speakers and a source and just enjoy the music. Very nice sounding, inexpensive, great build quality, and great to look at.

Good luck,