Burn In on Aurender N100H

I just acquired an Aurender N100H.  It replaces a Sonos Connect modified by Wyrd4Sound.  After installation, I noticed a very "digital" sound and a lot more noise than I'd been familiar with while listening to the modded Connect.  The modded Connect was connected to my Schiit Audio Gumby via Digital Coax.  Aurender can only connect via USB.
How long do I need to burn this in to get a sense of the quality of the Aurender?  I have a 60-day return policy and if this unit doesn't improve exponentially it is going back.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar experience and how things worked out.
Also, any advice on the best USB cable for the connection between the Aurender and Gumby?
Thanks
128x128pg62

Showing 4 responses by dlcockrum

I have had a N100H for a while. It replaced my PC as a streaming source to my DAC (Exogal Comet Plus). I find it anything but digital sounding in comparison, but did find that different USB and power cables, and to a lesser extent Ethernet cables, changed the sound significantly with this pairing.

I compared the WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7, Belden Gold, Shunyata Venom, Curious, and Purist Audio 30th Anniversary USB cables (all of which I still have) and, for the money, the Curious is the value leader (the Purist the best, but at a price). The Curious has a very balanced tone, a "non-digital/analog" sound, and is very good re: resolution, detail and air. It is reported to be best in a shorter length, so I bought the .8m.

Another that I have not tried but has been recommended for a smooth and musical presentation without sacrificing resolution is the Audioquest Diamond.

The Triode Wire Labs Digital American power cord is very good on my N100H FWIW. The N100H also benefits significantly from good vibration isolation/transmission, ie a Symposium Acoustics constrained layer platform, bypassing the stock footers.

Good luck to you pg62.

Dave
Same experience with WW Platinum Starlight 7 USB. Much too aggressive sounding in this application. Curious will be a much better match.

Dave
You’re welcome. I just stumbled on this USB comparison. The Curious accounted for itself quite well:

http://audiobacon.net/2017/09/18/curious-cables-usb-review/

I would agree with the reviewer on the relative merits of the USB cables of that bunch (the ones that I have heard). I hope you are pleased with the Curious USB and with your Aurender.

Post Script: re: the review, I would take the 100 hours the reviewer recommended seriously for the Curious to fully relax.

Dave
Hi pg62,

So glad you are warming up to the N100H and like the Curious USB cable.

Don't assume that the ISO Regen will improve your sound. It did not for me. Once you have a clean source like the N100H, it depends on your DAC IMO. Many others really like it in other setups, so YMMV.

Dave