Burmester 069

I am wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to the new Burmester 069 reference CD player? How does it compare with their 001 top line player?
hobby
I ended up buyig the new Burmester 089. It is considerably less expensive than the 069, but clearing made from the same cloth.
Post removed 
Just listened to a 069 last night again. I swear, I kept looking on top of the 069, to see if there were some tubes sticking out.
Post removed 
Burmester period. I have owned Wadia and had tried the various mods. To compare the 069 to anything else is a joke. The 069 supremecy is absolute for me. Then again, I can only speak for my ears and my taste. To each their own.
Post removed 
Roysen, this is an old thread. Things move on, so I can not comment on the latest Wadia separates. I am sorry, but have not heard them. I am sorry my earlier posting could be interpreted that way. My experiences, except from latest integrated players, are with older models. But anyway you get a clue about the different brands philosophy.
I believe the choice of any of these top notch players in the end is just a matter of personal taste. Some prefer Wadia over Burmester, some not. Personally I am in the latter group.
Cappuccino,

I might have understood you incorretly but it seemed to me that you had heard the Accuphase 800/801, Esoteric mod APL3.0 and Wadia 270/931/921 in additon to the dCS Verdi/Purcell/Elgar and that of these you prefered the Accuphase combination. May I ask in what system you heard the Wadia combination.

From what I have experienced, I believe that the Wadia combination is better than the Burmester 069.
Post removed 
In the US, if you're considering these players then you need to also consider the Playback Designs MPS-5. It'll be at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, in the Soundings high end room.

For the price differences, you could afford the airfare to Denver and stay at the Ritz and, perhaps, buy a new car.

Dave
A funny thing which struck me;
in Norway, where I live, I can buy 3 new Burmester 069s with the reference power supply for the price of 1 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limeted with the V8 4,7L engine. In the US I think you get 2 such cars for the price of 1 Burmester 069 with the reference external power supply.
I guess this has some impact on our priorities... Crazy!
That's interesting. I figure that the Burmester and Zanden have a flavor that is very dynamic and solid, yet smooth. The Wadia, Esoteric, and Scarlatti immerse you in information, which can also be satisfying and equally 'musical'.

I think digital has been near perfected, from several viewpoints. Too bad about the cost.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob,
Accuphase 800/801, Esoteric mod APL3.0 and Wadia 270/931/921. I am sorry but have not heard the latest dCS, only verdi/purcell/elgar. Among these I prefer the Accuphase rig. The others are too cold/analytical and less musical in my ears. But I prefer the 069 over the Accuphase. The 069 has more resolution, depth and is more dynamic and musical. This player plays with more "confidence" and authority than any other player I have heard. I could also add Mcintosh MCD1000/MDA1000 combo to this and Theta Compli/GenVIII which I have had in my own system. Also when I run the Theta Compli as a transport into the Burmester 069 as DAC it sounds like a cheap toy in comparison... The 069 just amazes me! I must add I use the 948 conditioner and think that gives the 069 a benefit. There is a lot of synergy when using Burmester components together. That also includes the Burmester power cords. I have tried Valhalla, WireWorld Gold and latest Synergistic Research, but the $500 Burmester AC cord beats them all in my system!
I am not too sure about the 001, but compared to my brother's 061, i thought the 069 gave me a sense of grander/fuller scale, detailed but with sharper contrast, regal and majestic. When my bro got 061, I thought to my self, 'no way a redbook CD player can any better', I was wrong. You really have to sit down with the 069 to know/feel what i'm talking about. Hard to put into words.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SpoolyT/TAA2008#5238073744651517794
069 CD transport/DAC, 808 MkV Preamp, 909 Power amp, and B100 speakers
Cappuccino,

What were the Esoteric, Wadia, and dCS models you heard? I'm curious because I believe the Wadia 931/921/270se, dCS Scarlatti, and Esoteric P-01/D-01/G-0R represent an uncompromised approach to reference digital. I'd like to know how Burmester fits in there. I believe it is similar in the price ballpark.

Thanks,
Rob
Pkancel,
you will not regret it. I moved up from Burmester 001 to 069 myself and as good as the 001 is, the 069 is a lot better. I chose this player over Accuphase, Esoteric, Wadia and dCS separates. The Burmester is simply more musical I think.

I have ordered the new 077 reference preamp and will hopefully have it in 6-8 weeks.

What Burmester amps and what speakers do you have?
I am moving from my Burmester 001 to the Burmester 069. I have the amps and 948 Burmester conditioner as well. The 069 I demo'ed was amazing and after 5.5 hours, I had to make the trade-up. It just does everything better.
I heard it recently in an all Burmester setup and we had the opportunity to compare it to the 001. The setup was 069/001 cd, 011 pre, 2x911 monos, B100 speakers. All cabling was Nordost Odin.

The 069 sounded like a Burmester CD player, just better! Very open, dynamic, transparent and three-dimensional. The 001 which still is very good sounded less transparent, not as fast and a little more restrained. Of course, you will need a very good system to benifit from the differences up to the 069.