Building from scratch... why not go 6.1 or 7.1?

As I know most of people are still settling with 5.1 set up for reasons such as lack of softwares etc.

However, with all the recent processors being 7.1, isn't it kind of waste just settling with 5.1, not trying 6.1/7.1? unless you have real small room.

Only extra is getting 7 channel amp instead of 5 channel and adding a couple of rear speakers. I can always add the rear speakers later but getting 7 channel instead of 5 channel should be decided in the beginning.

I know that 7.1 is not realy 7 discrete signals but matrixed and there are not much software and stuff... but if you especially build a system from scratch and getting those 7.1 processors with EX ES etc, isn't it worth getting it in the beginning - 7channel amp and a couple of rear speakrs?

The processors I'm considering are Anthem AVM-20, Bryston sp7.1, Aragon Stage One.

My room is about 16X17 and I'm thinkig about 6.1 set up with 7 channel amp and rotating the extra channel once in a while.

Is this good thinking?
eandylee

Showing 2 responses by lej1447

My pre/pro is 7.1 and my amp is 5-channel. My set up is 5.1 b/c all my speakers are full size. There is no room for 7.1.

If you have room for 7.1, do it. If not, why buy 7.1 now when 9.1 is starting to flood the market. The current issue of Sound & Vision depicts a picture of 11.2 setup. 2 mains, 2 centers, 2 sides, 2 surrounds, 2 center rears, and 2 subs. Wow! Just can't keep up.
Nighthawk is correct. The Master & Commander is considered a reference DVD by Sound&Vision magazine. With the proper surround setting, viewers can hear crew walking above them. In that movie, the director wanted to add less music and more sound so the viewers could feel as if they were on the ship. The canon sounds were from real recording, not digital affect. Sorry for the little sidetrack.