Budget of 7000gbp what top flight one box cd player do i buy any recommendations please

hi 
my budget is around 6000gbp im looking to buy my last silver disc player but i need it to provide high end sound quality if hooked up to a lap top, second hand is fine,

I have only ever played silver discs so this is my preference but i am looking into the computer audio i have not followed the computer audio route as i have 1000s of discs and wondered can i just rip the HD download onto a blank disc and just play that so maybe the player i am after does not need computer connection, i am finding it a quite difficult decision on what to do or buy, my thoughts were Esoteric K01 used i did fire the gun but the seller pulled out so i am back to square one 

any help or advise i very much appreciated thank you
mains

Showing 3 responses by kalali

I think shadorne’s post has a lot of merit. Some of us oldtimers with a CD collection get automatically gravitated towards a "better" disc player when we get the upgrade itch. However, when you really think about it, aside from the "spinning" portion, everything else making the music is all digital. So, technically instead of "reading" the digits from a round disc one could stick a thumb drive or a USB cable in a DAC and feed the same digits, actually even "better" digits. All that matters is the quality of the DAC and ADC (conversion). In fact, one could even argue using a transport instead of a straight transfer of digits into a DAC could cause some loss in the bits and bytes. It took me a while to make the switch from CDP to computer/streaming audio but it has not only opened up the choices in music available but also in sound quality. Someone said reel-to-reel and vinyl sounded a lot better in shows, and yes I felt the same way after the NYAS but I also noticed the caliber of the turntables they used and most if not all of them were completely out of reach, certainly from mine. I think the cheapest TT I saw there is use was $32K. Didn’t see any R-2-R players.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in with suggestions but depending what "source" you'd like to use for your music, e.g., streaming using subscription service, downloading hi-rez files on a PC, play ripped CDs, etc., your system architecture can vary. One thing is for sure, there are lots of component options out there to meet your needs, regardless of the price point. The higher tech the options, the harder to find in the used market. PS Audio seems to have some good "digital" component options.

"...feels strange no cd player..."

No worries there. Keep your current CD player and use it as a transport or get a nice CD transport - many options in the high end gear used market, when you have your DAC in the system.