Budget Hunter: Spendor S8e vs Totem Hawk

I'm replacing a pair of B&W Matrix 804s with something less fatiguing and (hopefully) more musically involving.

A pair of Spendor S8e ($1200) and a pair of Totem Hawks ($1800) are for sale locally. I like what I've read about both. Before I drive an hour and a half in opposite directions to audition, I hoped I might get some insights from this group about any personal experiences you may have had. Likes and dislikes. My tastes in music runs the gamut but the human voice is the common thread through all of it.

The rest of my system is capable but modest. A Musical Fidelity A300 dual mono Integrated (150/250), MF A3 CD transport, Denafrips Aries II, Rega P2 and a Bluesound Node2i.

Thanks in advance!
craig_co
I had a used pair of Hawks. I got them for $1100. They were pretty awesome at that price. Deep bass for such a small speaker. Great imaging. Good detail but the tweeter was a bit edgy sounding to me. They like power but I also got good results with a Primaluna Dialogue integrated. For around $1500 or less they would be hard to beat and especially if you’re looking for a small footprint floorstander. 
Post removed 
Go with the Hawks.

They are built to last a long time and are exceptionally musical without being colored.

If you ever upgrade any of your Electronics, you will genuinely hear any of the sonic improvements that come with the upgrade.  In other words, the Totems won't let you down in the long term.

Good luck!
Totems are well made speakers, have a good following. The metal tweeter does have a propensity for brightness/harshness, esp. with solid state gear. One can use tube gear to take the edge off some, but one needs to be careful with matching tube amps as Totems are typically lower impedance and lower efficiency, so tube amps may smooth out the treble but in the process, also lose a good bit of the good bass response (given their size) which is one of Totem’s typical strengths.